Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutdown during startup

I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I recently upgraded to OS X Yosemite and my computer started shutting off without shutting down as though it had a dead battery. At first I thought it was a dead battery issue but it's been doing it with a full battery charge. I then started running the computer while plugged in to power and it now shuts down during startup. I'm not sure what would cause this. Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:48 PM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 12:02 AM in response to thehurdherd

I have a few solutions in mind that may work for you;

Firstly try the startup manager - this will allow you to make sure you are booting into the correct system. Hold the option button as you power up for this.

If this fails, try the diagnostics - holding D as you power up will send you to the diagnostics screen.

There are a few more things you could look into - check this guide for more - Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support

If these don't work try SMC/PRAM resets - these essentially rid/reset the system of it's old memory - It can also fix problems relating to both software and hardware - and is very unlikely to make any large changes to the user settings on your mac. See the link below for how to do this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

Finally - provided that you do make regular backups; simply re-boot from the last working backup file.

I hope this can help in some way.

Chris

May 29, 2015 12:30 AM in response to Chriswaa

Thanks for the info. I tried your suggestions. I was able to select the hdd after using startup manager but the computer shutdown during startup. Then I tried to get into the Apple Hardware Test by pressing and holding 'D' during power up but it didn't open up it just went to the log-in screen. Then I attempted the SMC/PRAM resets and still got the same issue of shutdown during startup. I'll keep looking for a solution, though.

Shutdown during startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.