Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 5K Retina does not see USB SuperDrive

Bought a new iMac 5K Retina with 1 TB Fusion drive last week. Today I opened the new USB SuperDrive, also purchased last week,

plugged it into a USB port and it doesn't work.

After sharing my iMac with the Apple Care technician and spending nearly an hour on the phone he concluded that the USB SuperDrive was defective. I took it back to the local Apple Store and they gave me another new one. Took it home and it has the same problem.

When it is plugged into a USB Port on the back of the iMac and an audio CDROM inserted, Finder does not see it, the SuperDrive icon does not appear on the desktop. Disk Utility sees it, but it is greyed out and a dialog opens asking if I want to erase the files on it (guess it thinks it is a rewritable CDROM?) . iTunes doesn't see it. When a CDROM is inserted you can hear it spin up and also some soft clicks. After a few minutes it automatically ejects the CDROM. I tried three different audio CDROMs and a data CDROM. All three audio CDROMS work fine on my stereo.

At the start of my call with the Apple Care technician he said that he had heard of some problems with the USB SuperDrive and the new iMac 5K Retina desktop, but didn't know how to fix it. He had me shut down the iMac, unplug the AC power cord, wait a little while and then restart it. Nothing changed.

I suspect some type of software driver problem. Or, could I have received two defective USB SuperDrives? Maybe the iMac is defective?

I spent several hours moving data files and APPs from my MBP to the new iMac and another couple of hours getting it organized just the way I want it. Sure hate to start over with a new computer. But, I don't want a defective one. If I can't find a solution soon, no choice but to take it back into the Apple Store.

Anyone else see this problem? Any suggestions?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 8 GBytes, 1 TB Fusion disk

Posted on May 28, 2015 9:06 PM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 9:35 PM in response to veehbJ

I am replying to my own post, as I found the solution. I took one more look on Google and found a reference to a similar problem on the Apple Support Website, although the description of the problem was different.

Turns out that I had the drive upside-down. There is a silver side and a black side (with an Apple logo). The black side goes down. I had it facing up.

I just turned it over, inserted an audio CDROM and it is working just fine.

Here is a link to the article that solved my problem: Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support The description on Google is not this clear. I searched the Apple support site and did not see this article.

So a simple solution to a confusing problem. I suggest that Apple puts a hint inside the packaging telling the user which side is up. The info that comes with the drive is useless. I assumed the Apple logo would be the up side.

Hope this helps someone else!

Nov 5, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Jim189

Jim189,

you didn't say if you solved the problem. Mine was very simple. I had the drive up-side-down. I went to the local Apple store and got another brand new USB Super Drive. It had the same problem. So, I turned it over, putting the black side down with the Apple Logo) and it worked. Wonder why the Apple store employees don't know about this simple solution. I'll bet they are replacing a lot of perfectly good drives.

My time machine is working fine. Time Machine problems won't have anything to do with the Super Drive not working.

I'm finding, however, that after upgrading to El Capitan that I have to reboot the computer every so often as Mail stops and other Apps seem to hang. Rebooting makes all work OK again. I have the new Fusion Drive with some Solid State Memory on board. Makes it book very quickly. I'm looking for an El Capitan update.

Nov 26, 2016 11:57 AM in response to veehbJ

I have the same computer, same problem, and also spent some time with the Apple care tech. The difference is, I was using the USB superdrive right-side-up, and it still didn't work. I had to return the superdrive, and am back to zero!

I have mac OS Sierra, 10.12 and have read that there are problems with Sierra and USB ports....Comments from anyone??? I still need an external optical drive!

iMac 27" 5K Retina does not see USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.