Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal not saving my event

This is a very recent problem - it started about 2 weeks ago. Every time I create a new event with details, it appears for a brief second but subsequently, all the details disappear and it'll become 'New Event' on the right date with no other information. So I have to key in all the details again but this time, it'll save properly. Is any one experiencing the same problem? And what can I do to fix this 'cos it's frustrating. Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 10:17 PM

87 replies

Jan 29, 2017 6:51 PM in response to Jane Mok

Today I entered five events, none of which displayed as entered into the calendar. Cioncidentally, I have been receiving messages that my iCloud is full and my phone is not backed up. I decided to start there first. I switched the iCloud setting to stop backing up an old iPod I have, and deleted the iPhone 6 that I don't have anymore from the back up list. I opted to back up the iPhone 7 I am using now. That freed up space on iCloud and it appears to be backing up this device now. Secondly, I went into the calendar app and pressed the "calendar" button at the middle-bottom of Calendar display screen. After opening this option, I clicked on "all gmail". Now the entries are displaying when I enter in a new event into the calendar. This worked for me.

Jun 3, 2015 7:58 AM in response to graphiks

That's quite strange. You may try resetting your iOS device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Jun 4, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Jane Mok

Very similar problem here I think, stuff not syncing correctly in any case:

I had this problem I just discovered about three weeks ago. Our family's iCloud calendars were not syncing. In particular my daughter's periodically would not sync when she was away at school even though her events were showing up on my phone and calendar anyway. It would randomly not work and there is no rhyme or reason why. It kept telling me I needed her password even though nothing had changed. So I can't tell if I am missing appointments or not.

About three weeks ago I realized that I was missing an appointment I put in a few days prior, which I was sure put in on my macbook and still didn't show up anywhere (phone or macbook) so I checked for it and couldn't find it. I added it (again?) on my macbook and a day later it still wasn't on my phone. Also a bunch of days for this month had NO appointments whatsoever between the four of us showing up even though all calendars appeared to be syncing (no error messages, no status alert icons associated with any calendar). Then went to the individual DAY on my phone and there was the mysteriously vanished appointment. When I viewed the individual DAY with the list of activities and scrolled forward to see my upcoming appointments, then they started to show up on the month view as dots on the days when I had appointments. They had not been there yesterday or this morning until I viewed the list of upcoming activities. VERY STRANGE because I did not change a thing.

Thank you, apple, I missed an appointment.

I had very weird experiences again this morning. An event I changed the day on a few weeks ago now went back to the original day it was scheduled for. I am pretty sure I did that on my phone, FWIW. But I can't specifically remember. Generally the point is to put it in the calendar so you can forget about it until the time you need to know. Well not anymore! I'd do better carrying a paper calendar/day planner the way this thing has been working.

An event I scheduled just this morning, for later in the day, done on my macbook, with travel time of 15 minutes, plus alerts 15 min and 5 minutes before travel time would NOT show up on my phone. Then it did for a few minutes, then it went away again while I was sitting here looking for answers and talking to my husband about it in iMessage.

So, I disabled iCloud from the ical prefs, which caused the event to disappear off the calendar entirely, then reenabled it, which caused it to reappear on both devices. But the phone version said I had an alert of 30 minutes and 20 minutes before travel time, and the macbook version was correct. ?!?! I changed the alerts on the phone to the correct ones, and it went to the macbook almost immediately but it did not replace the alerts, it just added them to what was currently there. So my macbook had four different alert times, and the iPhone had two. Then all of a sudden the macbook had three different 15 minute alerts, and one 5 minute alert. I deleted the extra ones off the macbook, and then my phone's version of the event alerts went to 30 minutes and 5 minutes. What the heck is going on?

I did discover that my iCloud settings (signed in with browser) were for the wrong time zone but that doesn't make any sense as to why the alerts were so messed up. And it wasn't like they were changing my appointment times or causing them to disappear entirely off the calendar. I fixed that but still would like to know what is going on.

And the sync problems are still messed up. It says I edited the event at 11:39 am which was when I was driving and I certainly wasn't editing calendar events. It told me this morning I had edited events at times when I was not editing anything and it wasn't just two hours off because of time zone issues either.

Jun 5, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Jane Mok

I'm having this same issue as well since the last 2-3 weeks! Driving me completely crazy and I cannot have this, as I am syncing many work calendars fro people. I schedule an appointment, fill in the details, save (done) and right before my eyes within about 1-2 seconds it reverts back to "New Event" and the times are changed to "all day" and everything else is lost. This is happening oddly on the main Apple ID calendar but not on the one that I sync with from home!

I'm on iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Calendar 6/0

Jun 8, 2015 7:32 AM in response to lilskye

Same problem that I am suddenly having.... why has Apple not at least acknowledged this bug?

Someone else's suggested workaround:

I have had the same problem with iCal on an iMac and a MacBook Pro. My workaround has been to do the following after I have completed entering the details of the event: Click on the appropriate date block in the monthly calendar, which minimizes/closes the listed event and seems to prevent it from defaulting to ’New Event.’

Jun 8, 2015 3:44 PM in response to ddoer

Thanks ddoer, but I'm not understanding what the person in the snippet means by "Click on the appropriate date block in the monthly calendar, which minimizes/closes the listed event and seems to prevent it from defaulting to ’New Event.’" What do they mean by "appropriate date block?"

I either have to click "Done" to close the even details or it won't close any other way. If they mean click on the little calendar inside the details, I have done that. It still changes back to "New Event."

NOTE: THIS ONLY SEEMS TO HAPPEN ON THE CALENDARS YOU ARE iCLOUDING Oddly, it happens on the main calendar of the computer account you are on and clouding with another elsewhere (at least for me). I have 2 computers - one at work, one at home. If I am scheduling a work item from HOME it doesn't default back to "New Event" - it only does this if I am on the work computer at work scheduling a work event (which clouds to my home computer) and visa versa. But if I schedule a personal even from work its fine, If I schedule a work even from home its fine. This JUST started about 2 weeks ago, so something changed in a recent update, but it is REALLY causing problems, as scheduled events just disappear and by boss and workers are effected when they miss appointments etc.

I've submitted a bug report but don't know what else to do.

Also someone above mentioned the Remote Client Update and it does seem to me this may have coincided with that. I don't use Remote Client but I accept and install the updates Apple Recommends and there was one about 2-3 weeks ago… I don't think the iPhone or iOS has anything to do with this. I'm not having the issue on those devices (though I rarely schedule something on those directly) - its happening on 2 different iMacs running Mountain Lion.

Jun 9, 2015 6:31 AM in response to lilskye

I'm sorry that I didn't make my work-around solution clear. Note that I have tried this only in the "Month" view on iCal.

On the calendar, the number of each day of the month is contained in a square. I double click on the square of the day on which I want to enter an event. This brings up a popup "New Event" box in which I can enter the event information. After I have completed entry of the information in the popup, I click once on the square of the date into which it should be entered. By doing this, it does not revert to "New Event."

iCal not saving my event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.