Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk Mail eating non-junk mail

I clear out the junk mail folder regularly. Everytime i do, one message, always different, from a few weeks ago turns up at the bottom of the list. It's not junk mail. Sometimes it's a message I've sent, other times a message i've received. I put it back where it belongs, and the next time i click on junk mail, there's one message from a few weeks ago sitting there again. It's driving me a bit nuts. any ideas?

Macbook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 25, 2006 10:05 AM

1 reply

Oct 25, 2006 10:51 AM in response to David Fernandes

Verify/repair the startup disk (not just permissions), as described here:

The Repair functions of Disk Utility: what's it all about?

After having fixed all filesystem issues, if any, and making sure that there’s enough space available on the startup disk (a few GB, plus the space needed to make a backup copy of the Mail folder), try this:

1. Quit Mail if it’s running.

2. In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Mail/. Make a backup copy of this folder, just in case something goes wrong -- e.g. by dragging it to the Desktop while holding the Option (Alt) key down.

3. Locate Envelope Index and move it to the Trash. If you see an Envelope Index-journal file there, delete it as well.

4. Open Mail. It will tell you that your mail needs to be “imported”. Click Continue and Mail will proceed to re-create Envelope Index -- Mail says it’s “importing”, but it just re-creates the index if the mailboxes are already in Mail 2.x format.

Note: For those not familiarized with the ~/ notation, it refers to the user’s home folder, i.e. ~/Library is the Library folder within the user’s home folder.

Junk Mail eating non-junk mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.