Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to turn off iPhone to save battery?

I'm going on a 4 day backpacking trip, and all I have is an iphone 5s to take photos. So, I want to do all I can to save my battery usage. If nothing is running on my iphone, and the screen is dark, at what point is it best to turn it off, with the understanding I'd have to turn it on again to take another picture.

For instance, say I don't see myself taking a picture for another hour. Would it be better to turn the phone off? At what point does this make sense?

thanks!

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:02 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2015 5:11 AM in response to canadian_bacon

i would put it in airplane mode and then just let it sleep With all the radio's off in airplane mode, and with a battery that's still in good shape and not ancient or with 1000+ cycles on it, an iPhone in airplane mode should last in sleep state for several days.

You could also pick up an external battery pack to recharge it from. Some of the smaller ones capable of a single iPhone recharge or partial charge are not very expensive anymore.

May 29, 2015 6:20 AM in response to canadian_bacon

I would take Michael's advice about leaving the phone on, yet sleeping. The reason being is that the iPhone can take a minute or so to actually power on from a powered off state. Many photo ops may pass you by, waiting even just that one minute for the phone to power on and be usable to take a pic. Even just one minute can seem like an eternity when there's a shot you want...but will miss because of the wait.

I've used external battery packs (as has also been mentioned) many times and they work great.

When to turn off iPhone to save battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.