Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime video recording stops after 15 mins

I need to record 1 hour videos and recently quicktime started stopping video recording after ~15 minutes. What can I do about it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:51 AM

7 replies

May 29, 2015 9:24 AM in response to estlutra

Perhaps a little more information might be helpful...

Do your videos require that you record continuously and not in shorter segments?

Are you recording full screen or selecting a portion of the screen?

Are you recording audio at the same time (mic input, app sound output, etc.)?

My students had an assignment requiring them to capture screen activity and Logic Pro sound output with QuickTime Player X. These were a max. recording time of 15 minutes. Some had no issues and others reported QT X hanging or crashing repeatedly. All the lab machines were identically configured. So I'm curious to learn more here myself.

May 29, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Raymond Riley

I'm conducting usability tests and need to capture video (not screencast) with audio switched on using audio for an hour continuously.

I was able to do it without any problems till May and now I can do it for 15 minutes only. I use visualisator as I capture how people interact with mobile devices.

I've noticed that if I move a mouse regularly - every 10 minutes, then video doesn't stop.

I have an impression this was changed in Quicktime deliberately in case someone forget to switch off the app.

May 30, 2015 8:09 AM in response to estlutra

I've noticed that if I move a mouse regularly - every 10 minutes, then video doesn't stop.

I have an impression this was changed in Quicktime deliberately in case someone forget to switch off the app.

Are you running your laptop on battery? Just wondering if the app nap feature introduced in Mavericks has anything to do with this. I'm sure you have already checked screen saver and energy settings too.

Quicktime video recording stops after 15 mins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.