Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Image our Macbook Pro

Hi out there,

I work at an University and we Image our Mac's ( Desktop & Laptops ) with 10.9 and all the software required etc.

Don't ask me why we haven't move to 10.10, I've asked that myself.

Anyway I have a major problem, The New MacBooks I have won't Image, it's done via our Server they see the Image, you click to re-start and install said Image and all I get is this icon , a circle with a line across it ( like a No entry sign ).

I have even tried it by Erasing the OS and trying to install that way, by selecting Start-up disk and choosing the image, still nothing, zero.

So does anyone have any ideas please ?

Just so you know, I built 4 15" MBP's 2 weeks ago and it worked so I don't know what is going on here bar that I do know they were the older model ( Track-Pad type ), where as these new ones are the Newer model ( Newer Track-Pad ).

Any help would be most grateful, or is it just I can't do it and will have to stay with 10.10, which might be a good thing in the long run.

Steve ( UK )

Posted on May 29, 2015 3:51 AM

6 replies

May 29, 2015 4:57 AM in response to golf king

Remember that point about not knowing why you haven’t upgraded to 10.10? It’s probably time if you want to keep working with just one disk image. The new MBP computers cannot run 10.9. The rule of thumb is that a Mac cannot run an OS older than the one it shipped with. Although there are exceptions to this rule, in the case of the new MBPs there is no exception.

Having gone thru this dance many times with my labs, install 10.10 on one of your oldest and least powerful computers and see how it handles. I’ve found that 10.10 and 4GB of RAM don’t mix well unless the computer has an SSD. Upgrading to 8GB (or more) solves the problem. Right now I’m running one of my labs on two images: 10.10 for most but a few are stuck on 10.9 and I’m hoping they’ll be replaced before the new semester starts in the fall.

May 29, 2015 4:58 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply, interesting to what to say because I was able to image 4 15" MBP's 2 weeks ago which came with Yosemite, I just erased the HD first and then did the image, but with these Newer one's that dent work either. So it looks like we are going to have to use Yose' which in fairness is fine by me.

Thanks again

Steve

May 29, 2015 6:07 AM in response to dwb

Hi ,

thanks for your input here, what is slightly confusing me here, is I pulled out a Brand new iMac 27" i7 yesterday ( although it states it was built Late 2013 ? )

tried the image on that one ( and it comes with 10.10 ) and it took the image no problem ??

Are we saying that the image won't work with just the Very latest MBP's ? As I said earlier I imaged 4 New 15" MBP's only 2 weeks ago which came with 10.10.

Could it be that the Firm ware & Drivers have been updated by Apple hence why they won't image ?

Just asking the question really as I fully understand that we should really be using 10.10, I just have certain people around me who won't come out of their little box .......

Thanks again all.

Steve

May 29, 2015 7:00 AM in response to golf king

As I said, there are exceptions. Apple's hardware and software releases aren't perfectly timed so there are instances where a computer started shipping with one OS version, then the OS was upgraded and the computer then shipped with the new OS. Since the hardware was designed to work with the older OS, even though it shipped with the newer, it could be reverted and Apple would support that computer with that OS. The other exception is when a new computer model isn't substantially different from the older model and while you couldn't install the older OS on it, it could boot the older OS and run it. Apple wouldn't support this computer. The new MBP doesn't fall under either category since, among other things, the track pad is haptic which is brand new and not supported in 10.9

Can't Image our Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.