Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hitron CGN3 (Rogers) and Airport Extreme problem

Hello all,

I've been using a Hitron CGN3 modem/router (from Rogers in Canada) in bridge mode connected to a 2nd generation Apple Airport Extreme router with the Ignite 100 package (100/10) for several months with no problems at all.

I recently bought a used 5th generation Apple Airport Extreme to replace the 2nd generation and for the life of me can't get it to work properly.

I started with a factory reset of the new Airport, and confirmed the latest software update was in place. I removed the old Airport and plugged in the New. I was immediately prompted to upgrade using the same settings which I did. Setup completed and then presented me with a message indicating problems getting an IP from the CGN3

I rebooted the CGN3 - still no IP. I then rebooted the Airport - finally, an IP though after 2-3 minutes of waiting. I did some speed tests on the connection (speedtest.net) and surprised to see both download/upload speeds throttled to just under 10mbps! It seems to be throttled in some manner.

I then did a complete factory reset on the new Airport and setup as new - exact same problem.

Out of interest, I did a factory reset on the old Airport and set as new - no problems at all. Picked up the IP from the CGN3 in seconds and speedtest was showing ~150mbps down/11mbps up.

What is going on here? I've checked every setting I can think of - doesn't make sense. Why would the new(er) router have compatibility issues with the CGN3?

Suggestions?

Airport Extreme 5th Gen-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:08 AM

9 replies

May 29, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Southpaw99

First I need to double check.. Gen5 AE is last of the flat ones.. It is usually fine and much of a muchness with your 2nd gen AE.. just newer.

The Gen6 AE is the tall one.. and it is problematic.. exactly your problem I have answered this morning with a guy using fibre ONT.. old AE no problem.. new AE cannot get IP.. or is connected at the wrong speed.. your gigabit WAN port has finally connected at 10mbit.. It should be gigabit.

So in the end the AE is likely faulty.. but it is a bug.. every now and then you get one that works.. but many AE have this problem.. with some modems.. some routers.. not all.

Since I think this is a gen6 AE.. and you are plugged into a modem router..

Please setup the AE in bridge mode if not already..

Then swap the ethernet cable from WAN port.. to LAN on the AE.. so you have LAN CGN3 to LAN AE.. tell me if that now works.

See New Airport Extreme unable to obtain IP from ISP (FIOS Ethernet straight to ONT)

Same problem.. different configuration.

May 30, 2015 5:48 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the recommendations.

I tried everything I possibly could to get this working:

1. Reset the cable modem, operating in residential gateway mode (non-bridge), then set the 5th gen bridge mode trying both WAN and other LAN ports. It took forever to get an IP and when it did, was unable to get out through the Internet which is very odd

2. Reset the cable modem, operating in bridge mode, setup the 2nd gen as router (grabbed IP in seconds, no performance issues) then setup the 5th gen as bridge mode off the 2nd gen via Cat5e using WAN and each LAN port. Time to obtain IP from the 2nd gen was very slow. Again, no Internet connectivity

3. Reset the 5th gen, setup as a new unit - same slow IP latch and poor performance

4. Reset the 2nd gen again, setup as new unit - IP grab in seconds, fantastic performance

I'm convinced there is a hardware problem with this unit

Jun 1, 2015 6:58 PM in response to LaPastenague

I have been having the exact same problem with my Tall AE. I just got a new modem from my ISP (Rogers), a Hitron CGN3. I set it up bridged to the AE. I should be getting 250mb/s, but am lucky if I get 10. The AE was working beautiful with the old modem, but as soon as I got the new one, I have been having nothing but issues.

What's interesting, however, is that on my Mac, if I go to Speedtest.net - I get very slow speeds. Yet, if I go to the Speedtest app on my iPhone, also connected to the AE, I get almost 200mb/s. On my Mac, I never get to the point to see upload speeds, as Speedtest just stalls half way through for some reason. On my iPhone, I should get 25mb/s, but the Speedtest app reads 0.5mb/s.

I did try your suggestion about putting the AE in bridge mode and then swapping the WAN to LAN port; however, I couldn't connect to the internet afterwards (I also tried using each of the LAN ports to see if it made a difference without any luck).

So, wondered if you had any additional suggestions on what can be done. The range on the AE is 20x better than the Hitron, so I rather use that.

Jun 2, 2015 12:48 AM in response to ChrisZ80

I did try your suggestion about putting the AE in bridge mode and then swapping the WAN to LAN port; however, I couldn't connect to the internet afterwards (I also tried using each of the LAN ports to see if it made a difference without any luck).

For this to work you must have the CGN3 in full router mode.. so that it can handle the routing..

Then with the AE in bridge it should be able to connect any port to the modem.. WAN or LAN..

If that fails I would be very surprised.. Have another try and give me some screenshots from your airport utility showing the setup.

Make sure you use a good quality patch cable.. Cat5e or Cat6.

I can suggest other setups but the basic connection must work..

Jun 2, 2015 4:22 AM in response to ChrisZ80

AE could be faulty.. It is worth thinking about buying another brand of router and trying it.. You don't need expensive now to get 250Mbps throughput.

If the AE is still in warranty return it for checking or replacement.

A TP-Link WR1043ND.. or buy one of the AC models.. C5 or C7 and see how it goes..

We can only dream of those speeds so I have nothing to compare..

Did you plug the Mac straight into the modem to confirm you are getting that full speed?

I would like to know what speed you get on the Mac.. ethernet plugged into the CGN3 with wireless in the Mac turned off.. to ensure it doesn't interfere with the speed of the connection.

You will never get faster than the modem itself can perform.. at the same time of day.. once you test that.. put the AE straight back and again test with ethernet only.. if the speed has dropped that dramatically.. then something is wrong.

Jun 2, 2015 6:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

It seems to have been an ISP issue.

When I left for work this morning, I was still getting very slow speeds. My Dropcam automatically activates when I leave for the day. Throughout the day, I was checking my feed and it was horrible. Then, around 1pm, it went back to normal speeds.

When I got home, I checked both on WiFi and through ethernet; both were over 300mbs download and 25mbs upload.

I am going to continue to monitor it, but your suggestion to use bridge mode with the modem in router mode worked. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Hitron CGN3 (Rogers) and Airport Extreme problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.