Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express keep attaching to each other instead of the base station

This has been an ongoing frustration for me. I have a Time Capsule Base station and 2 airport express units is separate bedrooms. The apartment has cinderblock walls hence the need for a boost of signal. The one airport express connects to the second one and slows to a "good" versus and "excellent" This is not a big place so the one unit is only 3 or 4 metres from the other. Any thoughts are appreciated.

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 29, 2015 3:55 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 4:22 AM in response to Wolfeman999

If you are saying that you want each Express to connect to the Time Capsule......then each Express needs to be about the same distance away from the Time Capsule....and....each Express needs to be closer to the Time Capsule than another Express.

The reason for this is that Apple's extend feature works on signal strength, so your task is to find a way for each Express to receive the same signal strength from the Time Capsule. The conditions mentioned above, will provide a good opportunity to meet that goal.

May 29, 2015 9:04 PM in response to Wolfeman999

Each Express might be approximately the same distance from the Time Capsule.....but...are both Expresses closer to the Time Capsule than they are to each other?

In other words, you are going to need to move the Expresses so that they are both approximately the same distance from the Time Capsule.....and....each Express must clearly be closer to the Time Capsule that it is to another AirPort Express.

If you have done this, then, I'm sorry that there is nothing else that you can do except look at connecting the Express devices using a wired Ethernet cable connection with the Time Capsule.

Airport express keep attaching to each other instead of the base station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.