Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac7 crashed and now I'm stuck! Help!

I have an iMac 7 running Maverick. when I turned it on this morning I got a grey screen constantly starting up but with grey/white black pixelated short lines: Flickr pic here (this site won't let me upload for some reason): https://flic.kr/p/tMoa5e

I've done the usual stuff, restarted, tried resetting the PRAM etc, unplugged all the peripherals with no joy. Then I hit google and followed the suggestion of re-booting in single user mode so i now have this: https://flic.kr/p/sQg7ub

Except now its got a load of flickering lines on the screen. I've rebooted it because the instructions I found here: Re: OS X Mavericks installations fails after reboot, stuck. Safe mode does not help which looked like it might be the answer were not clear enough for me (I am not a computer genius by a long stretch!).

Basically it is stuck in a cycle of rebooting itself and going nowhere. I can't find the original start-up disk and I just don't know what to do. My other half's photos are all on there and he's starting to panic about losing work.

Any help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 29, 2015 8:09 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric,

I'm running Maverick not mountain Lion. I did try it though, and no joy. Basically if I turn it on I get the grey start-up screen with the apple logo, the progress bar and all the lines on the screen (the lines on the screen vary from starting out like in the first picture and ending up as vertical bars with black and white bars running their length horizontally.

When the progress bar gets to the end after about 4 or 5 mins, it just restarts and the same thing happens over and over again.

I've tried resetting the NVRAM, the SMC and doing a safe boot. Nothing.

imac7 crashed and now I'm stuck! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.