Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine icon not showing on iMac

Dear Everyone

A friends who's an IT support chap, came round to see if my Imac was working OK and he was perplexed that after I rebooted the machine a few days ago, the TimeMachine icon has disappeared from the top right hand corner on the mac desktop (is this known as the Information Bar ?). He says that if it running in the background, like the anti virus, wifi etc, the icon should be sitting alongside them as it was when he first set Time Machine up a few weeks ago.

I've lost a lot of precious photos of years because my hard drive packed up and I didn't realise that I needed to have an external hard drive. So I am doubly cautious now.

I'd so appreciate some advice here

Thank you all

iMac, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:03 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Moleykins

For TM icon to show in top menu bar go to preferences, TM and be sure box at bottom is checked to show icon. Also in finder, preferences be sure show external discs is checked off. Does your TM drive show up on the desktop? If not go to Finder, preferences, general and be sure that is checked off to show. If still not showing your drive or cable may be bad.

TimeMachine icon not showing on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.