Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation Lock Error?

I bought an iPad Air last year from my friend. It was iOS 7.0.4 at the time I bought. And her iCloud account was unverified and always asking me to type password. But I could manage to remove her iCloud without typing her password all of a sudden and then I signed in with my account. I don't know why I could do that. The problem is Activation lock status is still on even I turned off find my iPad. The iPad is my iCloud account. So, if i turned off find my iPad, the website should say OFF. But always on.

1. Why? Is my iPad still links to previous account?

2. Will I be asked for activation if I ever do erase or restore?

3. If I was asked, Apple ID and password asked will be mine or her?

iPad Air, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 29, 2015 8:32 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Community User

Hi When an iPhone / iPad is sold the seller needs to Turn OFF find my phone in settings If this is not done the iPad is still locked to there Apple ID If you can get in touch with seller ask them to go to find my iphone on Apple device and remove the ipad from there Account in the list of devices Then you can Restore iPad to Factory Settings And put in your own Apple ID Cheers Brian

May 29, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Briansyddall

Not just Turn OFF, I could even get rid of her account and sign in with my account. So the website should say OFF if I turn off find my iPad of my account. But it is still on. It is like one device is linked to two iCloud accounts. I don't dare erase or restore now. Both Erase all contents and settings and restore ask my iCloud ID though.

Activation Lock Error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.