Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library displaying wrong storage

ok basically what happens is that I currently have 2.5 GB of photos/videos stored on my iPhone and synced via iCloud Photo Library with my iPad. So again, each device shows a 2.5 GB usage as expected ....while iCloud Photo Library usage tells me it's 3.7 GB.

I know how it happened: I recorded and deleted quickly 2 videos ... meaning that there's no way they could have been uploaded but iCloud seems to consider that they were ... at least for the storage used as they are NOT on iCloud. That difference of 1.2 GB is exactly the amount of data that these two videos had locally. So ... this is reproducible, obvious bug on iCloud imo.

I was in touch with Apple Care yesterday and well ... there's nothing they can do to help except suggest to restore the iPhone as new etc... I knew it didn't make sense but I still tried it, just in case some local data corruption had triggered the issue while syncing with iCloud. So I tried that and that didn't change anything of course.

I then chose, after disconnecting both devices from iCloud Photo Library, to request that iCloud Photo Library should be completely disabled and deleted ... the result was ... 0 KB stored ... 1.2 GB used 🙂

So ... the only solution is to disable icloud photo library and wait 30 or 40 days until all is really gone and reset properly, and then sync my devices again. I do not want to do that, that's unacceptable and I need iCloud Photo Library to be up and running constantly. AirDrop is not a solution as it doesn't preserve editing steps.

ps: best argument ever heard from an apple rep: "the issue isn't so bad, you're using the free quota (5GB) and you still have some space left" 🙂

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 29, 2015 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 8:07 AM

I think I just ran into this issue. 3 GB of photo data randomly appeared overnight. I went from 17 GB to now 20GB and all of my devices telling me my iCloud storage is full and syncing has been disabled. This is impossible. When I check the actual photo data, it is in fact only 17 GB on every device.

Now, I either have to pay for more storage or delete photos. Ridiculous.

So you're saying waiting the 30 or 40 days to clear the server deletion period would fix this?

Thanks for your help. This is the only report of this I have found so far.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 8:07 AM in response to arrow7

I think I just ran into this issue. 3 GB of photo data randomly appeared overnight. I went from 17 GB to now 20GB and all of my devices telling me my iCloud storage is full and syncing has been disabled. This is impossible. When I check the actual photo data, it is in fact only 17 GB on every device.

Now, I either have to pay for more storage or delete photos. Ridiculous.

So you're saying waiting the 30 or 40 days to clear the server deletion period would fix this?

Thanks for your help. This is the only report of this I have found so far.

May 31, 2015 8:21 AM in response to haaa

Yes that's the only way ... I experienced that before, months ago when iCloud Photo Library was still in beta. Albums were disappearing (not images). I re-activated ICL months later and as expected everything was reset.

This being said I'm not done. I'll get in touch with Apple Care again later this week because such an issue is purely and simply unacceptable. I haven't reset ICL again yet, I want them to fix the glitch.

iCloud Photo Library displaying wrong storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.