Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.10.3 running FCP 7

So I just upgraded to OS x 10.10.3 but now when I edit in FCP 7, I get these very strange vertical lines running up and down the screen on all my footage. I exported a small clip and these lines don't show up on the final export, thanks God, but what is causing these lines during playback??

iMac 27

3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7

16 gigs of memory 1333 MHZ DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MD graphics card

Thanks,

Jonathan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, FCP 7.0.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:03 AM

6 replies

May 29, 2015 10:11 AM in response to evolution video

So FCP 7 was working fine before...and then you upgraded the OS and now it acts weird? Well then, the issue is the OS. But those lines don't show up when you export, so I guess you are just going to have to deal with how it looks while you edit. Because OSX 10.10 doesn't take support of FCP 7 into mind...meaning it doesn't care if FCP 7 works or not. Nor did 10.9, or 10.8. FCP 7 is getting old...it's 5 years old...discontinued 4 years ago. Apple no longer cares to support it...so if the latest OS causes some funkiness in it...they don't care.

But, if it works and the only issue is that annoying lines thing...then I say you are just going to have to deal with how it looks while you edit. Or go back to the previous OS you had where it didn't do this.

Jun 3, 2015 2:28 PM in response to evolution video

One of the nice things about moving on to Avid or Premiere is that you get to take advantage of both the improvements in software and the accompanying support of more modern (and consequentially evolving) codecs directly within the applications.

Both Avid and Premiere (at this point) are still are based on the non-magnetic timeline, so other than learning where the knobs and dials are, either will feel structurally familiar to you.

Adobe Creative Cloud also offers a suite of applications that do a fairly good job of integrating to each other - such as Audition for sound editing and Photoshop for image editing - as well as the queen mother of motion graphics applications, After Effects.

I've had to teach people to switch from linear, tape based computer editing to Avid, and from Avid to Final Cut Pro 6, and always the first two weeks on the new platform that are the hardest - but one you get it, you'll be very happy with the improved workflows.

I'm sure the same is true with FCP-X, but for me Premiere was the better choice.

MtD

OS X 10.10.3 running FCP 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.