Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Time Capsule hard drive

I have an older TC (802.11n Wi-Fi Hard Drive 2TB) that I once used to back up my machine.

Been in closet for a couple years.

Now need to clean HD in Time Capsule so I can safely throw away or donate.

How do I reconnect it long enough to safely erase the HD?

Have tried a couple ways, no joy.

Running current Mac op sys YOSEMITE 10.10.4 on MB Air 13 (mid 2013).

External Cable Modem Router in other room, only connection to it is wireless.

Have not been able to get Mac to see TC.

Thanks,

Pier

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), How to erase Time Capsule

Posted on May 29, 2015 9:42 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Pier Rodelon

Factory reset the TC.. it will then appear in the Airport Utility under Other WiFi Devices..

You do not need to connect it to the network.. simply plug it in and do the reset manually.. once you can reach it wirelessly do a simple setup..

Sufficient just to erase the drive..

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this. So you still need to do the erase.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

Once you have the TC working go to the edit.. and then click the disk tab.

User uploaded file

Click on erase.

You do not have a 3 pass option..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Zero out is one pass.. it will take a few hours on a 2TB disk.. once is enough really.. unless your data is super sensitive.. normal TM backups once erased are very hard to put back together.. no normal disk recovery will work.. so I would only worry if you used the TC as a file server and put sensitive stuff on it without encryption.

If it is then really it is better to copy a load of rubbish to the drive after the erase.

May 29, 2015 11:24 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. Think this worked. Though . . . it made up a new network and knocked me off my actual connected network from modem router in other room. DOn't know if the TC is still erasing when I rejoin the "real" connected to Net network. Will check in a bit and see if the 8:16:59 has gone down in the completion time clock on the Airport Utility display.

Thanks for the instructions and I hope they do work (without my having to be connected to the bogus network for 8 hours).

Pier

Clean Time Capsule hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.