Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem opening saved Pages document

Using I Mac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Created 1 page document in Pages 4.3 and saved it in My Texts. Went to open it and clicked on that file and got the message: Couldn't be opened. The required INDEX.XML file is missing. How can I open the file?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 21.5" Late 2009

Posted on May 29, 2015 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 2:28 PM

You have Pages v5.5.+ and Pages '09 on your iMac. Pages v5 documents do not have an internal index.xml file, and they are not backwards compatible with Pages '09. Thus, when Pages '09 is open, and you double-click on a document touched by Pages v5, you will get that missing index.xml file alert.

Quit Pages '09, and double-click that same document. It will by default, open in Pages v5.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 2:28 PM in response to RAW3140

You have Pages v5.5.+ and Pages '09 on your iMac. Pages v5 documents do not have an internal index.xml file, and they are not backwards compatible with Pages '09. Thus, when Pages '09 is open, and you double-click on a document touched by Pages v5, you will get that missing index.xml file alert.

Quit Pages '09, and double-click that same document. It will by default, open in Pages v5.

Problem opening saved Pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.