Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows on External SSD

Dear all,

Need some assistance with regards to the storage problem I am facing.

This Mac Pro (black cylinder model) has 250gb of internal storage space which I partitioned into (3/4 Windows 8.1 and 1/4 Mac OS). This is because Autodesk softwares require the Windows platform so I am left with no choice at the moment. However the Windows Drive is now almost Full although there are no documents saved in this drive (i.e. solely programs installed only). I was thinking of the possible solutions to rectify this:

(1) Installing Windows 8.1 on an external SSD.

- Apple technical support said that this is not possible but there are some which have done it? Will there be stability and performance issues by installing Windows and booting Windows 8.1 on an external SSD instead of the Internal Storage?

- Can someone please share with me his steps in doing so?

(2) Installing all programs on an external SSD while the current Windows 8.1 remains installed and boot from the Mac Pro Internal drive

- My question is does this help in easing the storage problem I am facing now? This will save a lot of hassle in having to reinstall Windows once again.

Please advise! Thanks!

Mac Pro (Late 2013), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 9:10 AM

7 replies

Installing Windows on External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.