Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S. iOS 8.3. Dead Battery.

My iPhone 4S auto-updated with iOS 8.3. As a direct result it could not charge (and I have read online that others have had the same problem). The battery is now dead. Is there a way in which I can charge my phone or manually initiate a hardware reset?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:43 AM

9 replies

May 29, 2015 10:47 AM in response to JamRock232

JamRock232 wrote:

My iPhone 4S auto-updated with iOS 8.3. As a direct result it could not charge (and I have read online that others have had the same problem). The battery is now dead. Is there a way in which I can charge my phone or manually initiate a hardware reset?

A phone cannot auto-update. As far as a charge issue, what happens when you attempt to charge? Do you see anything on the screen? If you plug the phone into the charger, you can attempt a reset. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone should reboot. This can take up to 30 seconds of holding.

May 29, 2015 11:14 AM in response to JamRock232

Have you attempted to use a different cable? Have you attempted to use a different charging block? Are you using the Apple block and cable? Have you attempted to plug into a computer USB? Did you attempt the reset I described while the device was plugged in? If you have tried all of this, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider to have the hardware checked.

May 29, 2015 11:30 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, I have attempted different cables (all Apple). I have tried to plug into this PC, iTunes did not recognise the device. The battery got progressively lower throughout the day until the stage where it has now died. I have tried rebooting several times today (I am well aware of the two button reboot function) but it does not solve this problem.

The only thing I can see that would remedy this is a hardware reset (not reboot) using the buttons on the phone. I am asking to see if anyone knows if this is possible.

May 29, 2015 11:36 AM in response to JamRock232

I'm sorry, but was is a hardware reset using the buttons on the phone? The only reset there is, is the one I described to you, with the two buttons. While it does reboot the phone, it is not called a reboot, it is called a reset. If you want to try and put the device into Recovery Mode, you can try that, see this support document for help. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to as a hardware reset, since that is not a standard troubleshooting term.

May 29, 2015 1:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Genius bar isn't an option where I am living. Currently trying the following ... piggy-back charging the battery using my wife's iPhone (also a 4S). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYdbk3UyWk

A drastic measure but it seems to be working so far. Once I've got a full charge on my battery I will reassemble both phones and then put my phone into Recovery Mode.

iPhone 4S. iOS 8.3. Dead Battery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.