Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX share (export) to H.265?

Here's a brief summary of a large confusion:

I am shooting a Sony A7s direct to 4k capture on an Atomos Shogun. If I play back the files in Prores using Quicktime, they are smooth and clean but no matter what settings I try in FCP and Compressor, if I export to any of the formats supported by Samsung 4k TV I want to get (a 48JU7000) the video looks very jerky: there's a lot of detail but it's as if there's an underlying 1 second 'pulse' to the image, as if it were a series of stills superimposed on the action even though there is also plenty of action visible at the 25fps frame rate. Very odd and happens with all quality settings. It happens whether I view the video on my 30" Eizo monitor from my late 2013 mac pro (the back bin shaped one!) or whether I put it onto my Macbook Pro and HDMI it to an HD TV.

The Samsung I want to get supports USB 4K playback in H.264 (which isn't working for me) and in H.265 at a higher bitrate so I could encode more generously. It also accepts Motion JPEG.

So what are other people doing? You shoot 4k and edit 4K video and you want to watch it on a 4K TV, what's your workflow and are you able to do it via USB? And do you use H.265 and if so, how do you get from Prores to 265?

Sorry for the new questions but I really have tried to work this out for myself!

Thanks in advance

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2015 2:25 AM

Maybe you can depend on something that has output for H.265?

6 replies

Jun 1, 2015 2:55 AM in response to susan scavo

Susan, that's what I would like to do but my experiments so far with H.265 are quite dispappointing. I tried Bigasoft trial version yesterday and the result was mush even at the highest quality setting. I will try some others but I have read around the subject and in real world terms it seems that people aren't that impressed other than with the space saving potential.

Jun 1, 2015 3:00 AM in response to Tim Ashley

So after a day and a half of mucking about with a zillion settings I have discovered two things: firstly, a data rate of 80,000 is required if the file is to play acceptable well. Secondly, the H.264 setting must be set to Streaming not Download. The good news is that even though the output file has a data rate of slightly over 80,000 and the TV I want to use (Samsung 48JU7000) says in its spec sheet that it only takes H.264 at a max rate of 40,000 over USB3, actually the file seems to play.

More tweaking needed but I am getting there and I do appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Here's a question: if you yourself were shooting in Prores and wanted to encode to the codec that gave you the slowest data rate without noticeably affecting the quality of playback, for a 4K display, what would you use?

FCPX share (export) to H.265?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.