Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 6.0.6 Transition Problem

I have two clips between which I wish to place a video dissolve or fade. The two clips are the same kind of file format, both have plenty of padding for the effect, and both have the same attributes and effects (old film grain). I cannot, however, place an effect between them.

I have verified that they are connected in the timeline. I CAN place a transition between the first clip and the clip just prior to it and the second clip and the one just after it, but NOT between the first and second clips themselves. When I drag the effect/transition from the effects window and over the clips I wish to modify, a little "x" appears at the bottom right of the cursor and I am disallowed to place it. I cannot understand what is going on and I am at the end of my limited experience.

Thanks for your time.

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:26 AM

3 replies

May 31, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Plenty of material. Each clip is well over 50 seconds.

I experimented and was able to get the transitions to apply to clips that were only one or two seconds long (knowing that the transition would be pointless, but trying it to see if it could be done), but these two clips just won't transition with each other. They transition with other clips but not in the middle where the two meet. It's insane! They are connected but not overlapping. They are NOT time changed. They ARE on the same video track. They have the same attributes and effects. I just can't figure it out!.

Thanks for your reply.

May 31, 2015 9:59 AM in response to roynestle

Again, check that the outgoing clip is not at the physical end of the clip - that following the outpoint of the clip on the timeline, there is additional media in the original source clip that covers at least the duration of the effect you are trying to apply -

AND

check that the incoming clip is not at the physical head of the clip, the preceding the inpoint of the clip on the timeline, there is additional media in the original source clip that covers at least the duration of the effect you are trying to apply.

If either of these conditions are not met, the effect will not apply.

If you check and find that both clips have handles, and still cannot apply the transition, try this as a workaround:

Move the incoming clip up one video track ( from V1 to V2 for example) and then trim the inpoint of the clip you just moved 30 frames earlier. Apply the transition to the head of the clip on V2. Does that work?

EDIT: Note - it doesn't matter how long a source clip is, what matters is how close to the start or end of the source clip the area of the clip you have placed on the timeline is.

MtD

FCP 6.0.6 Transition Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.