Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HElP!!

Okay, I brought an iphone4 off of one of my friends and it didn't have a sim card in it to begin with, but he was still using it fine until he set it back to factory settings for me, so there wouldn't be random things on it, but now it's stuck on the activation screen and I've watched I don't know how many videos on how to unlock it but never has worked. I have a SIM card from an old phone that would fit in the iphone and it's not an activate SIM card, I'd just like to know if, if I put it into the iphone will it get pass the activation set up screen???

I know other people who have iphones without SIM cards and they are still able to use them without a problem.

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:58 AM

11 replies

May 29, 2015 11:02 AM in response to KairiHeart

What is it asking for on the activation screen? If you want to use the device like an iPod touch, then you still will need a SIM to activate the device. It does not have to be an active card, but if the iPhone is locked to a carrier, it will have to be one from that particular carrier.

KairiHeart wrote:

I know other people who have iphones without SIM cards and they are still able to use them without a problem.

That may be true, but they are not using them as phones.

May 29, 2015 11:46 AM in response to KairiHeart

You'll need the SIM card from your new, activated iPhone or one that was previously used to activate the original iPhone. Connect the iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet. Once iTunes activates the device, you're free to use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan - Apple Podpora

May 29, 2015 8:45 PM in response to KairiHeart

KairiHeart wrote:

so in other words I'm going to have to buy a SIM card for the iPhone because the SIM card I have is from a Samsung?

The brand of the phone is irrelevant. Its the carrier that's important.

You can try to use the sim card you have and see if it activates with it. Worst case: it simply doesn't work. Nothing is going to happen to the sim card or the iPhone.

But you still have to determine whether the iPhone is locked to a carrier or not. If it is locked to a carrier, you'll need a sim card from that particular carrier.

you can even borrow one from a friend, and use it for the activation only, when you are done, take it out, and be on your way. The iPhone will continue to work as an iPod.

But again, you need to determine whether you need a sim form a specific carrier or not.

If you go to a cellular provider they'll want to sell you a plan which you don't want.

The easiest route is to borrow a sim card from somebody and try to activate the iPhone. Again it does not need to have active service.

HElP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.