Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Responsive Power Button

My 2009 MacBook Pro 17" 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo shows no signs of life when I press the power button. Looking for ways to trouble shoot the issue. Could it be the actual button/keyboard is damaged? Or that the logicboard is dead (Praying it's not)? I have tried resetting the SMC, and have tried turning on the laptop with the MagSafe attached and the battery disconnected, still no signs of life.

MacbookPro5,2

Intel Core 2 Dual (T9600)

4GB RAM PC3-8500 DDR3

OS X 10.10.3

Any other ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 29, 2015 1:36 PM

12 replies

Jun 1, 2015 5:54 PM in response to mlbfanatic24

" it was sold to me as it would turn on but would not load the OS"

Where did you buy it? Is a return possible since it wasn't as advertised?

" tried turning on the laptop with the MagSafe attached and the battery disconnected"

When you connect the MagSafe does it turn green or amber?

If not then there is a major logic board problem and it was sold to you with a false description of it's problems.

Jun 2, 2015 9:04 AM in response to mlbfanatic24

"Standard diagnostic steps to figuring out what is wrong would be to disconnect everything from the logic board."

"Without the battery attached the indicator was green."

and with the battery attached?

The green light is a good indicator that the SMC is still viable.

"disconnect everything from the logic board."

and try the logic board power pads.

Jun 2, 2015 9:18 AM in response to spudnuty

SO the button on the side with the battery indicator still works correctly. Showed 3/4 charged and the magsafe attached was amber then turned green when it hit 100%. Does that give me hope for the logic board being ok? I have not begun disassembling as noted before I am still fighting with the provider about the condition of the laptop. They stated that they tested it before sending and it worked just fine...

Jun 2, 2015 9:35 AM in response to mlbfanatic24

"the magsafe attached was amber then turned green when it hit 100%. Does that give me hope for the logic board being ok?"

Not necessarily but it's a positive sign.

Could be a bad battery. 17" are not likely to start w/o a battery.

Try a hard SMC reset:

Disconnect the battery (open the bottom and pull the connector off. Use your fingernails.) and power adapter. Press the power button for 1 minute. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, Reconnect and try to start up.

No? - Go through the same procedure and try to start without the battery connected.

The addendum to this would be to try a known good battery.

This would be for a "no start" scenario but basically it's the SMC reset w/ a battery you can remove.

Non-Responsive Power Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.