Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 Battery question

Having frustrating phone battery problems and hoping for insight from the community.

Long story short, my battery is performing very inconsistently if at all. As of a month ago, it began taking the charge very slowly from the charger I use in my car, if at all. It got to the point where I would have to put the phone to sleep overnight for it to charge. Then brought a new Apple cable back from home. This worked fine until the phone decided to reject the cable anytime I tried to use it with that warning screen about the charger not being "certified" for the phone, or whatever it is. Now we're back to the other charger, which now needs to be positioned just so in order to charge at all, and was working fine until yesterday, when it started not charging again. I left it overnight with the phone shut down and it didn't charge up at all.

Why is this happening? A very similar thing happened to my last iphone, the 5, and it resulted in that phone just dying completely. The only things I can tihnk of that I could have done that would have cuased this: I used a pin to clean some lint out of the charging port, maybe this could have somehow scratched or damaged something? And before this all started, I was using an Apple cable that was frayed, and toward the end started getting really hot when I would try to use it to charge the phone (eventually it started smoking and I had to ditch it). Could that have fried the battery?

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:25 AM

1 reply

May 29, 2015 11:31 AM in response to MMLingo

A couple of things here. First off, using a pin was probably not a good idea, especially if the device was on at the time, since it could be possible for you to short across pins in the device. Usually a wooden toothpick is the recommendation, or a soft, dry toothbrush. You mention another cable besides Apple, and these can cause issues as well, even to the point of damaging some of the charging circuit. I suggest you make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider, depending on your location, and have the hardware checked.

iphone 6 Battery question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.