Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting email that keeps crashing my Mac mail program

On my Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.5 running Mail Version 7.3 (1878.6) I have an email that keeps crashing my Mac Mail program. I tried avoiding this email but every once in a while after deleting other e-mails this one in particular would be highlighted and would crash my mail program. There are a number of emails from the same address that cause the same issue. I sorted the emails by "from" trying to delete all the e-mails that cause the problem and as long as the e-mails that gave me trouble were highlighted I still have the same problem. Even when I highlight these e-mails along with others my Mail program crashes.

I went to the forums to find a solution as there was no way I could delete these e-mails. One of the ideas was to delete the com.apple.mail folder in the library folder. This I did. When I reopened the Mail application all of my mailboxes were missing. So after fixing that error I am back to trying to get rid of just the emails that crash Mail.

Help would be very much appreciated.I went to the trash and retrieved the .com folder and put it back where it once was. However, the mailboxes did not reappear.

Macbook Pro

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:44 AM

18 replies

May 30, 2015 11:32 AM in response to conquestjohn

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/Mail/V2. Locate the inbox of the affected account and then delete the emails there. There are a lot of folders you have to look through.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jun 1, 2015 12:11 AM in response to Eric Root

I did what you suggested and after a few laborious hours I figured I had identified the culprits as each time I opened up those particular emails my Mail program would crash. So I moved the V2 e.g.90554.emix into the trash. When I opened up the Mail program again and clicked on (selected) one of the problem emails the Mail program crashed once more. So now I have no idea what to do. Any ideas? BTW, here is what the folder looks like.User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 10:28 AM in response to conquestjohn

Sorry for any of the confusion. No I did not trash the V2 folder but each individual file such as 90554.emix. I thought my English was correct in the above statement but I can see that only a mathematician would understand the syntax. The other idea is that perhaps if the culprits are missing from the V2 folder I could delete the email account and reinstate it if there and import the data. However, I don't want to do that as I have some important emails in mailboxes I created that are related to the email account that would be deleted and I don't know if backing up the data covers those mailboxes.

Oct 21, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric. I do indeed have many many emails and folders, so I do not want to attempt this --- my entire work life is within these folders.

I'm wondering this:

I've moved all the emails out of my In-box except the two that are causing the problems and the ones and either side (since moving those would crash Mail because the cursor would then move to the offending emails.).

So, what would happen if I now delete my entire In-box? could I them reinstate the In-box easily and move the "good" emails back in?

Thanks so much!

Oct 22, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric.

I clicked "this helped me", but it did not. What I wanted to say is, as I've been pleadingly explaining all along, is that I can't move the emails, can't click on them, can't do anything with them except have them sit in my In-box with other emails around them to "protect" me from accidently running my cursor over them (which of course happens anyway).

Thanks anyway

Nov 22, 2015 3:43 AM in response to sa.mertens

I've no idea if the OP has resolved his problem, as it's a month since his last post.

As all his attempts to resolve the issue have failed, he or anyone else with this type of problem could try this solution. I've previously used it in both Mail and Entourage.

The rogue emails need to be deleted one by one. Note the date and time of the first rogue email. Change your system clock to the date of the rogue email. and to the time just before it was received. Send yourself an email. Then change your system clock to the time just after the rogue email was received and send yourself another email. You should then have the emails you sent on either side of the rogue email. Click your email above the rogue one, then shift click the one below it. You should then see all 3 emails highlighted, including the rogue email, and you haven't clicked on it. Then delete all 3. Repeat for any other rogue emails that causes your email client to crash. I have successfully done this in the past, hope it works for you.

Dec 31, 2015 9:39 AM in response to techiesteve

I had this same problem and spent too much time trying to rebuild and fix my email... and thought to try something different. I made a rule to remove the email and move it to the trash (actually I had two from one vendor which had the start of the same subject line) and was able to run the rule and move the emails to my trash. Then I erased my trash. Worked.

Feb 2, 2016 8:12 PM in response to conquestjohn

I was having this same problem, and trying to sandwich the bad email between good emails (as suggested above) also crashed Mail, so I'm posting this quick fix for anyone who can't use the above trick (less work, too).

http://www.macworld.com/article/1162877/mail_crashes.html

My Mail window is configured a bit differently than in that example, with folders to the left and a split pane with subject lines above and a preview pane below. In my case, Mail wasn't automatically selecting the offending email, so all I had to do was open Mail and drag the horizontal bar between message list and previews down to the bottom, closing the preview window. With no preview activating the bad script, I could select the baddy and delete it. The instructions linked give a workaround for you if the bad email is being selected by default when you open Mail as well.

Good luck!

Nikol

deleting email that keeps crashing my Mac mail program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.