Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library not removed after activating iCloud Photo Library

Hello,

I'm traveling tomorrow and I've 6.6GB used by Photos before i activate the icloud photo library, after the activation it lowered to 6.3GB, i'm sure there is something wrong but i dont know what or how to fix it the correct way

ive seen same issue with my friends iphones before, the photo library hidden and taken place

all advice's are welcome

iPhone 5S - 32GB - iOS 8.3

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 29, 2015 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 11:37 AM

Hi TheLove,

From what you describe it sounds like you turned on iCloud Photo library and you see a size discrepancy on your phone. It seems to me that in your Settings for Photos you have the Optimize option checked:

iCloud Photo Library FAQ

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 11:37 AM in response to TheLove

Hi TheLove,

From what you describe it sounds like you turned on iCloud Photo library and you see a size discrepancy on your phone. It seems to me that in your Settings for Photos you have the Optimize option checked:

iCloud Photo Library FAQ

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Photo Library not removed after activating iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.