Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone --> Android text messages = garbage characters

When I send a text message to an Android user, the result is completely unpredictable. Sometimes they go through normally, but I'd say about 50% of the time, the Android user receives some kind of garbage characters and a partial message. For example, I wrote an entire paragraph just a couple minutes ago, ending in the word "those." My friend responded:

"This is the text I got: Ԁ΍Єthose."

One of my friends refers to them as "hieroglyphics." Whenever one of my texts comes through as unintelligible nonsense characters, she writes back "sorry, hieroglyphics again."

I am not doing anything special with these messages. They are not sent with special fonts, emojis, accent marks, URL's or any other encoding. It doesn't matter whether they are short or long (it can happen to a 50-character text as easily as a 500-character text). It doesn't matter whether I type it on my phone, dictate it using Siri, or type it into the Messages app on my computer. The result is the same: about a 50% failure rate. Sometimes, the messages just don't through at all.

Of note, NONE of these users have recently changed phones. None have migrated from iPhone to Android; they are long-term Android users. I have had my iPhone 5s for a little over a year. Importantly, these "hieroglyphics" messages are all being sent as text messages (green bubble), not iMessages (blue bubble).

ALL my text messages to iPhone users go through (usually as iMessages).

I have tried soft-resetting my phone. I have tried resetting the network settings. I have tried updating the carrier settings. I have tried getting my friends to try all of those things on their Android phones. I read something about a full message queue affecting the apps, so I had my friends go though and delete a lot of their old text messages (I delete mine constantly). NONE of these solutions have helped.

Also of important note, sometimes my messages are simply never received at all. I've never RECEIVED a hieroglyphics message, but I definitely have had times when I simply do not ever receive a message that an Android user sends me.

Thoughts? This is really aggravating! I use text messaging a lot at work, and some of my messages are very time-sensitive. I'm beginning to consider text messaging an unreliable communication medium!

Thanks,

-- David

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:56 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 12:10 PM in response to david.weingarten

Usually this comes up with:

• Characters in some languages, including Russian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic.
  • Letters with accents (å, é, ö, and so on).
  • Non-ASCII symbols ( ● ¢ ¼ ).
  • Emoji.

If you verified that your messages don't contain those, I would contact your carrier as it could be a network issue.

iPhone: SMS messages may display incorrectly on other devices - Apple Support

May 29, 2015 12:19 PM in response to ZikzakCorp

Nope, no accents, no non-ascii symbols, no emoji, no foreign languages. All English, all normal characters. I haven't been able to pin it down to any specific characteristic of the messages. They seem to have nothing in common.

I'll try giving Verizon a call. Not sure what carrier my friends use, but I'm pretty sure they're multiple carriers.

iPhone --> Android text messages = garbage characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.