Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall Remote Desktop Client Update 3.8.4

Hello,

I installed this update from the App Store Updates tab by mistake. I don't own Remote Desktop and believe this update is causing issues so I'd rather just uninstall it.

What's the best way and how?

Thanks in advance!!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.3Ghz i7 Quad Core-running VI's

Posted on May 29, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 4:53 PM

Thanks for those instructions. When attempting to move the folder or its files to the Trash, a message says the file cannot be modified or deleted because it's required by macOS. Can I override this? Thanks. Paul McV

2 replies

Aug 25, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Armando Diaz

The Remote Desktop Client Update Version 3.8.4 that is being distributed by the Apple App Store has been modified and is not the same version that is included in the Yosemite OS X 10.10.5 installer. Upon running 'Verify Disk Permissions' from Disk Utility, I receive this; "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired." This "Update" has been distributed by the Apple App Store since March, 2015.

The full installer of Yosemite OS X 10.10.5, released August 14, 2015 installs Remote Desktop Client version 3.8.3, and this file has not been modified. This led me to the question, if the Remote Desktop Client version 3.8.4 is the newest version released by Apple in March, then why is this version not the same version that is included in the Yosemite OS X 10.10.5 released on August 14, 2015?
Why do I have to install this version from the App Store after a clean install of Yosemite OS X 10.10.5?

After opening both versions in Console and comparing these files, it is obvious that version 3.8.4 has definitely been very modified and appears to be a hacked file. How did this version get into the Apple App Store? Was this version really released by Apple?

If you have installed version 3.8.4 from the App Store at any time since March 2015 and have only updated your Yosemite OS through the App Store updates then this modified file is in your system.

To uninstall Remote Desktop Client completely from your system follow this path: System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement, select this folder, right click and select "Move to Trash", you will then be asked for your Password.

To remove only the modified file, follow the same path and then continue to /ARDAgent.app, right click on the app and select "Show Package Contents" then continue this path, /Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent, right click on this ARDAgent file, select "Move to Trash" and authorize with your Password.

Then go to Finder > Empty Trash... or better yet, Secure Empty Trash....

How to uninstall Remote Desktop Client Update 3.8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.