Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MP620 not supported for Yosemite. How do I find a generic driver?

Yosemite 10.3.3 reinstalled and Canon printer no longer works and Canon has no driver or software updates for Yosemite.

Printer is 6 years old and iMac is 7 years old. Canon support says to find a generic driver and I don't know where to find one.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27" 2008 model Intel

Posted on May 29, 2015 1:07 PM

9 replies

May 29, 2015 1:19 PM in response to jerryfromshelby township

Install the Canon printing software, if you haven't already done so.

In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, click the plus-sign button to add a printer. The Add dialog will open.

Click the Advanced tab. Wait a few seconds for the printer search to complete, then from the popup menu labeled Use, choose

Select Software...

Another window will open with a list of available printer drivers. Only the drivers that have been installed will be listed, not all possible drivers. Choose one for a model number close to the one you have and click OK. The printer may work, but some features won't be available.

A better solution is to buy a new printer.

May 29, 2015 1:37 PM in response to jerryfromshelby township

Not a major thing, but it's not that Yosemite does not support your printer, it's that Canon did not develop a printer driver for that printer for Yosemite.

However to answer your questions you can look into the GutenPrint Print Drivers. You should be able to Google it to find them, however you may need to consider replacing the device if it's pretty old.

May 29, 2015 2:01 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Not a major thing, but it's not that Yosemite does not support your printer, it's that Canon did not develop a printer driver for that printer for Yosemite.

However to answer your questions you can look into the GutenPrint Print Drivers. You should be able to Google it to find them, however you may need to consider replacing the device if it's pretty old.

So why does every release of Apples operating system require new drivers - why not just work with existing drivers?

Printers last longer with home users who may have periods where they do almost no printing. Blaming Canon is also duh - as apple has been turning out new releases every year - probably without telling any suppliers what changed until after the fact.

May 29, 2015 2:54 PM in response to notcloudy

So why does every release of Apples operating system require new drivers - why not just work with existing drivers?

Printers last longer with home users who may have periods where they do almost no printing. Blaming Canon is also duh - as apple has been turning out new releases every year - probably without telling any suppliers what changed until after the fact.

What we see is very very very small aspect of what makes something work, we do not see (or really care) about all the underpinnings. As operating systems (OS X is just an example here) change and add new features this affects many other subsystems. Apple (like Microsoft, and other OS developers) relies on it's vendors to provide updates and considers them partners as does Microsoft. Apple isn't in the printer business, Canon is (as well as HP, Toshiba, Epson etc..) and it's up to them to keep their products up-to-date. However those same businesses are in the business of selling products, and they aren't going to sell you a new printer if they keep developing updates to old products.

Believe me, I'm empathetic, I have a great old HP Laser printer that I love, however HP hasn't made any updates for it for years. So now even though the thing works great I'm going to be forced to replace it. It's called progress, better get used to it!

May 29, 2015 4:53 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

What we see is very very very small aspect of what makes something work, we do not see (or really care) about all the underpinnings. As operating systems (OS X is just an example here) change and add new features this affects many other subsystems. Apple (like Microsoft, and other OS developers) relies on it's vendors to provide updates and considers them partners as does Microsoft. Apple isn't in the printer business, Canon is (as well as HP, Toshiba, Epson etc..) and it's up to them to keep their products up-to-date. However those same businesses are in the business of selling products, and they aren't going to sell you a new printer if they keep developing updates to old products.

Believe me, I'm empathetic, I have a great old HP Laser printer that I love, however HP hasn't made any updates for it for years. So now even though the thing works great I'm going to be forced to replace it. It's called progress, better get used to it!

So if you go into using IHOME when it comes out - are you willing to replace appliances that don't get an update in later released even if they are still working fine?

The money in printers is in the INK not in the printer itself -- Both my canon printers the BJ and the PIXMA - separate black and color cartridges costs close to $75.00 to buy one set.

May 29, 2015 5:08 PM in response to notcloudy

notcloudy wrote:

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Believe me, I'm empathetic, I have a great old HP Laser printer that I love, however HP hasn't made any updates for it for years. So now even though the thing works great I'm going to

So if you go into using IHOME when it comes out - are you willing to replace appliances that don't get an update in later released even if they are still working fine?

The money in printers is in the INK not in the printer itself -- Both my canon printers the BJ and the PIXMA - separate black and color cartridges costs close to $75.00 to buy one set.

Ihome has nothing to do with this discussion so I will ignore your question.

Regarding the printer, I know that I worked for HP 8 years. The ink your current printer uses likely isn't used by new printers therefore that argument has no merit. Look I get you don't like my reply and you are upset you may need to replace your printer. So I offered you a solution om my original post, you have ignored that. So I am done replying.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

May 30, 2015 12:38 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Ihome has nothing to do with this discussion so I will ignore your question.

Regarding the printer, I know that I worked for HP 8 years. The ink your current printer uses likely isn't used by new printers therefore that argument has no merit. Look I get you don't like my reply and you are upset you may need to replace your printer. So I offered you a solution om my original post, you have ignored that. So I am done replying.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

In re to Cartridges I had a couple of unused color cartridges (broke set so no return) from my BJ printer - which did not say you could use them in the PIXMA printer - and my PIXMA printer did not say you could use the BJ ones -- but visually - exact same cartridge - and when in dire need of a cartridge change - gave it a shot - and it worked 🙂

In re to IHOME how a company treats you with current products is an example of how they will treat you in the future -- so I stand by - if they can't use the last driver for a printer - than guaranteed you will be spending vast amounts of dollars in the future to keep your IHOME up to date.

I already run both the Cannon and Guttenprint drivers for this printer -- the Cannon one does check ink - the Guttenprint does not.

On my last scanner had to use generic -- and it just did not use all the features I paid for.

Canon MP620 not supported for Yosemite. How do I find a generic driver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.