Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro w/SL Froze when I tried to startup with Internet Startup, only white screen now.

My mac pro with OS 10.6 in Bay 1 & OS 10.3 Bay 2. I tried to boot up os 10.3, it failed; so after several attempts I booted up with Option & all both drives appear and internet startup so I thought I would try internet startup. Nothing happened, so I tried shutting down by holding the pwr button down, then restarting and nothing has helped. The super drive won't open to allow booting from DVD. Need help. Thanks sparky

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 29, 2015 1:21 PM

4 replies

May 29, 2015 1:29 PM in response to funoptics

Your model is not able to do an Internet Recovery. Only Macs from 2011 forward can do an Internet Recovery. If you wish to reinstall Yosemite on your other drive then you can do the following.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

May 29, 2015 2:21 PM in response to funoptics

startup manager (holding down the Option key at Startup) WILL allow the DVD Reader to be opened with the Eject key (but only after it has looked at all the other devices and the watch cursor has gone away).

If you then insert a bootable DVD, it will add it to the display of bootable devices and allow you to select it and proceed.

May 30, 2015 7:31 PM in response to funoptics

as long as Disk Utility (repair Disk) is finding and fixing problems, you are making progress. Sometimes it gets stuck and makes no more progress. Then you may be facing a Re-Install.

Disk Utility (Repair Permissions) does everything it can do in one pass. Most message can be ignored unless they appear in RED.

If you have problems, check the main panel with the drive selected by Hardware-Name. Look for SMART status. Anything other than 'Verified' means you needed a new drive LAST week. Conversely, 'Verified' only indicates no problems were detected -- false positives are common.

My Mac Pro w/SL Froze when I tried to startup with Internet Startup, only white screen now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.