Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to charger screen IPhone 6 Plus

Hi,

I've just noticed that whenever my battery dies on my iphone 6 plus (8.3) it does not show the connect to charger screen. It usually shows the "connect to charger screen" whenever you press the "home" or "wake/sleep" button. I have tried it several times on different occasions on my iphone 6 plus and the backlight lights up for a few secs (black screen) without showing the connect to charger screen. I have just tried it on my ipad and the connect to charger screen shows up. I owned several iphones before the 6 plus and the connect to charger screen usually pops up if ever the battery is down and the sleep/wake or home button is pressed.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 4:00 PM

10 replies

May 29, 2015 5:03 PM in response to kennedian-mu

The screen will appear if there is sufficient energy left to display the icon. If the battery is too low it won't display anything. As you are saying you see this screen frequently, you are probably shortening the battery life of your iPhone by not charging it BEFORE the phone shuts off due to low battery. Lithium chemistry batteries really hate being deep discharged. In fact, just one discharge to empty will ruin the battery. Fortunately, the iPhone will shut off before the battery reaches empty. But if you continually ignore that warning you will eventually kill your battery completely. And if you don't even get the message to charge the battery you are very close to a totally flat (and dead) battery.

May 30, 2015 10:49 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've wrongly expressed myself. I've included some sort of scenario below for better understanding.

iphone 5s battery dies at 18h00, and 18h01 i press the wake/sleep button, the connect to charger icon appears

Ipad battery dies at 18h00, and 18h01 i press the wake/sleep button, the connect to charger icon appears

iphone 6plus battery dies at 18h00, and 18h01 i press the wake/sleep button, blank screen appears without showing the connect to charger icon.

I guess it is a bug on iOS 8.3 for iphone 6 plus. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue. It is a 1 month old iphone 6 plus and guess it should keep a minimum of battery in reserve to show the connect to charger screen 1 minute after it dies. I was just wondering why it does not appear as i don't have access to any other 6 plus to check the same.

Thanks.

May 30, 2015 10:52 AM in response to kennedian-mu

If you are routinely allowing the battery to drain completely, you will have ruined your battery in absolutely no time. This is the worse way to treat the lithium ion battery in the iPhone. You should be charging the device on a regular basis before the battery drains to that level. This is not a bug in the iOS. You are killing the battery.

May 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

Thanks for fast reply. Got your point, but regarding the lithium ion battery I've received several different versions regarding the maintenance of the battery itself. I havent seen any official guides from Apple as to when to put it on charge. For e.g. I've read on one website that we should not let the battery die completely but

"There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated."

I am bit confused about this. - Should we let it die completely at least once a month or is it harming the battery?

I browsed the two websites mentioned below:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-b attery-life/

May 30, 2015 11:08 AM in response to kennedian-mu

Modern lithium-ion batteries do not exhibit digital memory. The information you looked at is what Apple provides for battery information, but there are only so many charging cycles in the battery. Partial charges add up to the full charge cycle, but allowing the battery to discharge completely will decrease the number of cycles faster. The need to discharge monthly to re-calibrate the battery gauge is not really that necessary, unless you are experiencing problems. Put the device on charge when you have the opportunity, or when it needs it. I charge mine nightly, no matter where it is, but it is generally around 40-50% when I've used the device extensively during the day.

Jul 29, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have the same problem but my phone was dead for two weeks and it showed the connect to your charger screen but stopped appearing a few days in and went completely dead but now i have a new charger and nothing appears? This is the first time my phone has ever done this. The logo always pops up but not this time & my phone has been charging for hours and still nothing. Any help?

Connect to charger screen IPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.