Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore didn't fix "other" storage problem

Hi all. I have a 16GB iPhone 5 running 8.3 os that hasn't been able to backup to iCloud for months due to insufficient storage. I finally decided to tackle it and delete extraneous messages, photos, apps and deleting all videos, etc. After the restore, the "other" went down to a proportionally correct size. But when I restored from backup, the "other" went back up to it's original size. I have tried multiple tricks and tips to get iTunes to recalculate and nothing has worked. I deleted the largest app (Facebook) and reloaded it, with no significant improvement. There is 4.5 GB Other, 1.84 GB photos, 222.1 MB documents and data, and 921.3 MB apps. There aren't any music, books, or TV shows on it. Most people seem to think the issue is due to music and album art but there never were any on this device. With all the messing around, it will now at least backup if I don't backup any photos and only backup 1 app - not really much use. I hate to restore again and have to manually reload and reset everything. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 4:40 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2015 7:44 PM in response to T8ntLuv

"Other" is often the result of a corrupt database. Because of that, every time you restore the back up to your phone, you put the corrupt information back on the phone. Transfer your photos to your computer, make sure your contacts are synced to whatever you sync them to (iCloud, Google, Yahoo, etc) then restore the phone as new. Log into the account you have your contacts synced to, transfer whatever photos you want back to the phone ad download your apps again.

Best of luck.

restore didn't fix "other" storage problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.