Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my MacBook Pro run more than 8gb of RAM?

I own a mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro and I'm looking to upgrade it now to increase its speed and capacity instead of buying a new computer. Overall it still runs quite well but has slowed down a bit over the years.

Here's the standard tech specs that Apple recommends for macbook pros and upgrading RAM: MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

This page states that mid-2010 13" macbook pros can have a maximum of 8gb of RAM, but I've read elsewhere that for some people they used more than the recommended 8gb for their model (2011 15" macbook pro). Here is their quote "I wasn't sure if this memory would work in a early 2011 MacBook Pro. The computer is originally rated for a maximum of 8GB of memory. All my Internet research indicated that 16GB would work, and it does."

I would preferably like to get at least 2 8 GB RAM cards into my macbook pro for a total of 16 GB, and at most 2 16 GB RAM cards for a total of 32 GB.

what do you guys think my mid 2010 macbook pro is capable of running here? do you think i could get away with 32 GB of RAM? 16 GB? Or should I stick with the maximum of 8 GB?

Also I'm wondering if a product like this will work well for my computer, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226301) it says it's compatible with mid-2010 macbook pros on the page, or what other RAM cards can you guys recommend as being high quality, affordable, and long lasting.

Thanks

p.s. - the video card is currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB, and I wouldn't mind eventually upgrading that to a better and faster video card for gaming and such, if anyone could recommend a great video card and size that would be faster and render higher quality whilst being affordable that would be very helpful, thanks.

MacBook Pro, null

Posted on May 29, 2015 2:06 PM

12 replies

Sep 20, 2017 10:07 AM in response to Zachy1

Hi Zachy1,

I'm about to upgrade my MacBook Pro 2010 13" too. I know it was a long time since you did it, but I wonder if it worked ok to put in 16 GB, although it says max 8 GB?

I am going to put in SDDR3 204 pins and I am also changing my hard drive to a solid state. It would be amazing if I could get 16 or more RAM in too. It will be almost like new! :-)

Many thanks in advance.

May 29, 2015 2:18 PM in response to stedman1

Okay thanks to all who answered. Could you direct me to some RAM types that are correct for my model then, would be very helpful. Or where I can go to find that out.

Also do you recommend getting 1 16 GB RAM card and installing it, or getting 2 8 GB RAM cards and filling up both slots. I'm assuming logic says to get 2 8 GB RAM cards so they can both split the work.

May 29, 2015 3:25 PM in response to stedman1

hey stedman, another quick question. since i'm looking into upgrading my overall older mac's performance, I hear SSD is the way to go. Is it possible for me to exchange my HDD for an SSD? So it operates much faster and loads quicker. If so could you direct me to where I could find SSD's compatible with my specific Mac. Also if there are any cons to having an SSD over an HDD that would be useful to know.

Also if you can think of anything else I can do to upgrade my mac and make it faster that would be helpful, thanks.

Can my MacBook Pro run more than 8gb of RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.