Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's wrong with this shared video?

Subsequent to my previous question in this section I thought it best to provide an example. Here's a 1080p file, actually this one was converted from Prores to 1080p in Quicktime but sharing from either FCPX or Compressor gives exactly the same result: a strange pulsing, at intervals of about one second, that make all my shared files unusable. When the Prores file is played, it is perfectly smooth but the odd pulsing appears in all 1080 and 4K exports, whatever the setting I use.

The files was shot on A7s direct to Atoms Shogun over HDMI, then graded from Slog2 in FCPX and shared.

Can't for the life of me figure what is going on but the same thing happens if I shoot 1080p to the camera's memory card and then grade in FCPX and share.

HELP!

(please!)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76366907/meadowsweet%204k%20for%20QT_1080p.m ov

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 29, 2015 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 4:05 PM

I cannot access dropbox from behind my corporate firewall.

Rhythmic compression artifacts can be keyframe settings (every 30 frames, say) in Compressor or a subtle original media frame rate mismatch that regularly cycles into a periodic harmonic with the timebase of the delivery codec.

15 replies

May 29, 2015 4:14 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Thanks - it certainly looks either like a 'beat' or the sort of compression artefact that results from the compression looking for those parts of the frame that move less, and updating them less often.

In terms of frame rates, it was shot at native 25fps and stayed that way throughout AFAIK but then I am a relative new...

Thanks for the comments though. Would love to hear what you think when you see the file, if you have a moment...

May 29, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Tim Ashley

Probably one of the most difficult images in video to compress; all it needs is to add a babbling brook. As David said, this looks like keyframes in the codec. It looks like they're at the default setting, which will make for a quite large file. Using a codec like H.264 there is really no way to avoid this with this type of video. The only way to avoid it is to use an I-frame codec, which of course are quite large especially in HD and larger formats.

May 29, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

So what would I do Tom, in order to get a good end result? The aim is that it should look as close as possible to a still photo, and I will re-shoot it on a less windy day to that effect. I just want the faintest flutter of movement in leaves and grass but really smooth video. Are FCPX and my gear in combination not up to that task for good 4K output?

May 30, 2015 1:19 AM in response to David M Brewer

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It was shot as 4k in prores And when played as prores prior to sharing, there is no pulsing. This particular clip was transcoded from quicktime, however I have tried sharing from FCPX both with and without compressor into just about every format that allows 4k and 1080p at data rates up to 30mps and the pulsing is clearly there all the time. AFAIK iframe is a recording format only and maxes at 720p but I am not overly familiar with it.

I have to go to a wedding today (thankfully without a camera!) so I will start this experiment from the top tomorrow, with fresh footage, and document every step.

May 30, 2015 3:04 AM in response to Tim Ashley

IM not talking about shooting the codec that Apple stupidly called iFrame. I'm talking about using a video that's based on individual frame compression like ProRes. This has nothing at all to do with the shooting as you've said already. It's has only to do with the delivery compression.

David's information is absolutely correct. The data rate is way too low for media of this size and complexity.

What's wrong with this shared video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.