Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i backup an external hard drive without connecting it to my Mac in my Time Capsule??

The hard drive of my Mac is almost full... I bought a Time Capsule and a external hard drive which I'm going to connect in my house network (not directly to my Mac)... How can I make a Back-up of this HD into my Time Capsule?? My Mac is going to be backed-up with Time Machine... but how can I back-up both??

Posted on May 29, 2015 2:04 PM

6 replies

May 29, 2015 2:10 PM in response to agewob

You cannot backup network drives with Time Machine.

Nor does Time Capsule have any smarts in it to backup USB disks itself.

So you need to do this using a 3rd party app like carbon copy cloner. Or manually copy and paste the files..

Let me warn you .. this is a poor setup.. USB on the TC is still 2.0 and slow.. about 1/2 the speed of USB2 on the computer.

Transfer has to be USB--TC--Computer--TC.

Assuming the links are over wireless.. super slow.. at least use ethernet.

Edit

Lots of quick replies.. all missed your point that the USB will not be connected to the Mac..

and a external hard drive which I'm going to connect in my house network (not directly to my Mac)...

But they are correct.. that is the right way to do it.

May 29, 2015 2:30 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you very much for your answer!!! My HardDrive and my new TimeCapsule are going to be connected to my DSL-Router through the LAN or ethernet... So if I understood correctly, my Mac is going to make its' own back-up automatically using TimeMachine into my TC and in order to make a Back-up of the HD I must use a 3rd App (every once and then) to save the information in the TimeCapsule?? right??

how can i backup an external hard drive without connecting it to my Mac in my Time Capsule??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.