Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Won't Boot Up

Several days ago my Mac froze, and I turned it off by pushing the power button. When I tried to turn it back on, the loading bar on the gray screen stopped about halfway. A day later, I tried again. It took nearly an hour for it to boot up. Once it had booted up, it worked normally. The next time I tried to power it on, the loading bar stopped halfway again, but, after several hours, it had not budged.

MacBook Pro (17 inch, early 2008) Yosemite 10.10.3

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics: NVIDIA Gforce 8600M GT 512 MB

* fsck said it was ok

* recovery mode doesn't work (I've tried several times)

* safe boot sometimes works

* I already reset NVRAM

Please help!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:50 PM

2 replies

May 29, 2015 6:01 PM in response to whatastorymark

Seeing the progress bar at startup indicates your Hard drive was too damaged to Mount. The progress is the progress of a (Repair Disk) cycle. If you do not already have a Trusted backup, you may be very unhappy soon.

You will need to buy a new hard drive (that could be installed INSIDE your MacBook) and an External enclosure to hold it while you re-Install Mac OS X on the new drive in the enclosure from scratch. Once you have a working Mac OS X, you can bring its Utilities and third party Utilities such as Data Rescue to bear on salvaging some of the data from the old drive (if it ever shows up again).

The 17 MacBook Pro does not have Recovery_HD in its firmware, so with the Internal drive not working properly, you may have to go back to the 10.6 DVD, Install 10.6, update to 10.6.8, and then you get access to the Mac App Store and later [downloadable] versions of Mac OS X to restore to whatever version you were running before.

May 29, 2015 11:53 PM in response to whatastorymark

I Have been facing the same problem with my Mbp 2012 15". some how I managed to backup data by logging into single user mode and mounted mu external hard drive n then copied all the data required. Now inserted bootable dvd of 10.6 which I got with Mac mini. option at startup n my internal hard drive n dvd option I got selected for dvd to boot... Then grey screen and nothing happens just grey screen n my Mbp gets overheated.... Waited for almost 1hr to boot but no utility screen.

So visited nearby authorized service center... He says that there is bug with new update of yoesmite which caused this problem... N I need to pay them so that they will make service n install OS and my previous data will be lost..

Mac Won't Boot Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.