Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 Has Slow Internet

I have a Power Mac G5 single core 1.8 GHz with 1GB of RAM. It is not AirPort enabled, is running Leopard, and was made at the beginning of 2004. After a long conversation with a friend of mine, I found out that the ethernet card is too outdated to process all of the information that is coming in. I can't bring it into the Apple Store because it is obsolete, and it's from 2004 so I can't chat or have a phone call. Any ideas? (The ethernet is the bottom port right above the telephone jack.)

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Single Core, 1.8 GHz

Posted on May 29, 2015 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 6:40 PM

Hi,try these 2 things...

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Also, turn off IPv6:

System Preferences » Network » Ethernet>Advanced » TCP/IP tab » Configure IPv6

Or whatever Interface you use.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 6:40 PM in response to HarrisonMG

Hi,try these 2 things...

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Also, turn off IPv6:

System Preferences » Network » Ethernet>Advanced » TCP/IP tab » Configure IPv6

Or whatever Interface you use.

Power Mac G5 Has Slow Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.