Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP battery counts high

I’ve had by MBP retina since February. I was curious about the battery cycle counts, since it seems I’m using up about 2-3 cycles per week, which seems a bit high.

I understand a cycle is supposed to be the equivalent of using and recharging the equivalent of basically a full discharge and recharge (so that the partial charges should add up to about 100%). But that’s not what I’m seeing.

I see that the “count” goes up when the battery is discharging down at some point (and stays at that count when it is charging) and then goes up one more during the next discharge cycle. But the numbers don’t add up to anywhere near 100%:

—After a recent charge to 100% (count at 27), I used the computer on battery down to 86%, then later down to 73%, then down to 67% (count still 27), then down to 30%, but now the count is up to 28. So it counted one cycle with only about 70% used.

—A couple of days ago, the battery was down to 36% (count 29), and I charged it up to 100% at the end of the day (count still 29). The next day, I used the computer on battery down to 96% (count 29), then later down to 79% (and then the count was 30). So it triggered one cycle with only about 21% used.

—Charged up to 100%, then used on battery down to 85%. Charged up while I was away from working with it, back to 100%. (Count is 30) Later on used on battery down to 80%, and count had now run up to 31. So triggered one cycle with only about 35% used.

The apple support page says: “For instance, you could use your notebook for an hour or more one day, using half its charge, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so it may take several days to complete a cycle.”

But I’m not seeing that happen with my MBP. Why aren’t the percentages adding up to much higher numbers for each cycle? Thanks for any insight.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 29, 2015 3:38 PM

1 reply

MBP battery counts high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.