Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2006 iMac 17" Graphics Card

I want to upgrade my 2006 iMac with 4GB RAM and a new graphics card. But, I am not sure which graphics cards are compatible with my computer. Does it need to be iMac exclusive or could I use another model?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 29, 2015 4:38 PM

7 replies

May 29, 2015 4:52 PM in response to flowerst

I suggest you check the ifixit.com website; they would have that information. Generally, graphics cards are soldered to the logic board and not really replaceable; also, you can only replace it with the same card unless there was a choice/option of another card at time of purchase (there were some models with such options).

And, although you can install 4 GB RAM, your Mac will only address 3, so the expense may not be worth it.

May I ask why you would want to spend considerable money (graphics card) on a 9 year old machine?

May 31, 2015 8:45 AM in response to flowerst

Those were awesome machines when they were new. I finally retired mine just a little over a year ago. The problem is that besides being old and tired... They also had a problem where (sooner or later) lines started appearing on the display and that required replacing the display panel.

FWIW I have to agree with the others, your best bet is to save up and get a new or at-least a newer model.

2006 iMac 17" Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.