Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad stolen

My son's ipad has been stolen at his school a few days ago. He has a passcode and find my Ipad was enabled. I set it on lost mode with my number and message, but It has been offline since the day it was missing and cannot be located. So now I'm wondering, whoever (probably another student) has his ipad cannot get in to his ipad cause he/she doesnt know the passcode, and connect it to the internet. I did "erase my ipad" but then it says it will be erased when it connects to the internet, which is not happening. Is that ipad useless for them now? Do i have any chance locating it, or at least block it and make it useless if they somehow figure it out?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:39 PM

The iPad will be useless for whoever has the iPad now as soon as it connects to the internet.

4 replies

May 29, 2015 7:57 PM in response to narangoo77

You do not need the Lock Screen passcode to connect the device to the internet. So, as soon as it is turned on it will connect. Since you set it to erase, that will override the Lost Mode, so it will just wipe the device if it comes online. The upside is that even if it is erased, it will still be locked with the Find My iPhone Activation Lock, so the person who has it will never be able to use it....

Had you left it in Lost Mode, the message would have displayed on the Lock screen when the device was turned on and connected to the internet. Unfortunately, since you also initiated the "Erase iPad" command, that will supercede the Lost Mode command.

You can try contacting Apple Support/iCloud to see if there is anything they can do, but I think you may be stuck with the device being erased when it connects:

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/contact/

Best of luck,

GB

ipad stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.