Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup fails at step 4

When backing up my iPhone 6 to iTunes on my Macbook I receive the following message."iTunes could not back up the iPhone "iPhone" because an error occurred"

User uploaded file

When I watch the progress bar I can see that the backup gets to step 4 of 4 and then fails. It makes no difference if I Transfer Purchases or not as part of the backup. I have deleted previous backups and also have tried to back up to a Windows PC and cannot get past this error. Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:54 PM

8 replies

May 29, 2015 6:24 PM in response to MidwestSteve

In viewing the iTunes logs, I've found this entry:

[com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] ERROR: Backup message response: 101 Unable to open domain directory: No such file or directory (2) at path "/var/mobile/Containers/Shared/AppGroup/B8A3E697-5C70-43B8-B208-211EFD60B8F9" (MBErrorDomain/101)

Any idea what it pertains to or how to get past it?

Jul 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to MidwestSteve

I had this same problem for weeks now and just today was able to get my "null" app deleted!! This problem was also causing my backups to fail (either to iTunes or to iCloud). I am on a 6 running iOS 8.3.

Go into Settings, General, Usage, Manage Storage. Once there, find the "null" app and at the far right, touch the Right Arrow ">" to take you to the specific App detail screen. There I was able to see some of the details of the app to let me know which one it was (see picture below). In my case, the Blue Infinity logo helped me find it in the iTunes store...under Purchased Apps. Delete the App from this detail screen right now. Then go find it in your list of Purchased Apps and re-install it. Once re-installed I was able to do a backup to my computer...then I was able to delete it completely! Good Luck! Hope this works for you too.

User uploaded file

Aug 9, 2015 3:41 PM in response to MidwestSteve

ok after some research here is what you have to do to find those null apps when you can t see any name or even an app icon. i had 18 of them ⚠

• Download Xcode from the mac app store (Free)
  • connect your iphone to your mac
  • find the "Devices" menu in the "Window" menu
  • Find your iPhone there.
  • Turn off/one iphone
  • check the logs at the very bottom of Xcode
  • Copy /Paste it
  • Put it in a text editor
  • search for "Apps did change"
  • in the last find the "Removed" apps. Those are the bad apps
  • But there you will find the package name. sometimes it s enough to find which app it s about, sometime it s not. I suggest you copy the package (typically Com.something.whatever ) in Google and you ll normally find the app
  • Then download it again from the "Purchased" section of your App store account.
  • Maybe it won t work. That s fine
  • Then go back to General>Usage>Storage And delete those null apps from there

Repeat the whole process until everything goes.

Sep 14, 2015 5:55 AM in response to ourielohayonusa

In my case, there was only one "null" app - but it kept returning, however much I deleted it. Identifying the correct app to reinstall was a nightmare, because it had neither an icon nor a name, until a colleague suggested searching for the version number. I used xcode to search the device log file and sure enough, the version number appeared in a "Removed" log entry. It took a hard reset of the phone however to make the deletion stick. Everything fine now.

Backup fails at step 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.