Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are podcasts still on my PC

I've been listening to podcasts on my iPod Touch for a few years now and only recently noticed that there was a lot of space being used up on my PC. To my astonishment, I discovered that there are copies of all the podcasts I've ever listened to residing on my PC. I can go through and delete them all by hand but what the heck are they doing there in the first place? I have my settings to "delete unplayed podcasts" in iTunes, so I don't understand why they have not been deleted.

I've searched online for someone having a similar problem, but so far I can't find anyone with the same problem. I'm using iTune 12.1.2.27 (64-bit) and I've got an iPod Touch 5G. I had a 4G and recently replaced it with the 5G. Not sure why the device setting in my posting is showing an old iOS, but I do have iOS 8 on my iPod.

Alice in Illinois

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:58 PM

3 replies

May 30, 2015 1:35 AM in response to janeway1980

Perhaps you have misread the instruction. After all, if you really did have your iTunes set to to delete all unplayed podcasts, how would get any podcast into iTunes in the first place?

janeway1980 wrote:

I have my settings to "delete unplayed podcasts" in iTunes, so I don't understand why they have not been deleted.

That said, there are a couple of things you need to consider:

1. For a Podcast to be classed as "played", and therefore ready for deletion, it has to run through to the end of the episode. If you stop the epsiode with one second left to play, then it hasn't been "played" (fully) so will not be deleted.
  2. If you listen to the Podcasts on your portable device (iPod/iPhone etc.) then you need to use Sync to manage that device so that the "episode played" information is transferred back to your iTunes Library.

May 30, 2015 3:26 PM in response to the fiend

I should have specified that I do sync my device every day and I usually listen to the podcast all the way to the end. In iTunes in fact it seems to know which ones have been listened to for the most part, judging by the lack of blue dots on a lot of the podcasts. Yet when I look in my iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts folders for each podcast, there are tons of files there for podcasts that I played a long time ago.

When I look at iTunes at View->Podcasts, I don't quite understand what I'm seeing. It shows 205 unplayed podcasts, when in fact I have about 68 unplayed podcasts on my device (as of today). It shows 1993 "Saved Episodes." I have never purposely marked a podcast as "Saved" and I cannot figure out how to "unsave" these podcasts nor how to delete them from iTunes. What does this mean and can I fix it? I'm perfectly happy to admit that I did something incorrectly, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

I should also have specified that I am using a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

May 31, 2015 11:31 AM in response to janeway1980

janeway1980 wrote:

I usually listen to the podcast all the way to the end.

Okay, but if you don't, then it's not "played" so will not be deleted.

janeway1980 wrote:

In iTunes in fact it seems to know which ones have been listened to for the most part, judging by the lack of blue dots on a lot of the podcasts.

"For the most part"... ??

It should be all the time.

If you have files in the folders, for an episode that is no longer referenced in iTunes, you will simply have to delete it yourself. I can't explain why that should be without examining your computer, so I think you will simply have to accept that it has happened.

janeway1980 wrote:

When I look at iTunes at View->Podcasts, I don't quite understand what I'm seeing. It shows 205 unplayed podcasts, when in fact I have about 68 unplayed podcasts on my device (as of today). It shows 1993 "Saved Episodes." I have never purposely marked a podcast as "Saved" and I cannot figure out how to "unsave" these podcasts nor how to delete them from iTunes. What does this mean and can I fix it?

Ah! Now that's something different.

A few updates ago, iTunes changed and instead of the number of Podcasts showing how many new, unlistened episodes you had downloaded to your computer, it started including the additional episodes available to be downloaded. So the figure of 205 probably includes the ones online. The other figure (1993 saved - is that what it actually states?) is the number on your computer, presumably including the online ones - even though they are not "on your computer". In other words, the figures are nonsense!

I had been in the habit of noting the number of new episodes of Podcasts that I had in my iTunes Library, but now I can't keep track of it because of this strange way of noting "new". I've had to accept that iTunes has gone backwards in this regard.

Why are podcasts still on my PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.