Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error on drive

I have an Ipod with video 5th Generation (2005-2006ish). I am able to play the music on it just fine but whenever I plug into my laptop to charge the ipod I one of three messages:Drive G or H Problem with this drive, scan now to fix. Whenever I click scan it says the drive can not be

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on May 29, 2015 5:55 PM

8 replies

May 29, 2015 5:58 PM in response to musiclover1984

Sorry, computer glitch.

Anyways, it then says the drive can't be scanned. I also get alternating messages either telling me to plug in the device for charging even though it already is or I get told that it can't charge because there is not enough battery, which makes no sense at all.

Is this an actual problem with my computer or the ipod itself? As the ipod is from either 2005 or 06, I am concerned that the battery of the ipod has just run its course and it's time to get a new one......

May 30, 2015 1:18 AM in response to musiclover1984

The first thing to try is charging the iPod using a different source - i.e. not the computer. Do you have a another USB power source that you could use?

Let me explain.

I've had a similar issue with my Classic this week.

When plugging in my iPod to the computer's USB, the computer chimed with the "device connected", but then chimed with the disconnect and the iPod showed OK to disconnect. iTunes failed to see the iPod. After trying this a few times (and re-booting the computer), I discovered that the iPod's battery had fully drained, even though it had been almost full when I first tried connecting it. It appeared that the connection to my computer had drained the battery and that it now had insufficient charge to work.

I resorted to putting the iPod on charge in a sound dock and waiting for it to fully charge. Once fully charged, I connected it to my computer in the usual way and iTunes recognised it straight away. A Sync then took place.

May 30, 2015 9:13 AM in response to the fiend

I have an adapter that turns the usb cord into a wall mount for a regular outlet. I used that to plug in and charge the ipod until full charging capacity. Once charging was complete I connected to my laptop. Immediately I was told that there was a problem with the H drive and that I needed to scan and fix it but I could not scan it because the computer could not find the disc. Also, I immediately lost about half of my battery life.

This isn't a one time thing, this happens every time I try to connect my ipod to the laptop. As I said, I don't know if the problem is within the computer or the ipod itself, so I don't know how to proceed. I'm leery about downloading any more music to the device if there is in fact a problem with the device.

May 30, 2015 1:21 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank You for the link. My stats are as follows. Also, when playing the ipod on the full charge while NOT plugged into any charging device. The battery life keeps switching from being nearly completely full to having less then half of the battery left and I've only been listening to it for about an hour. Not really switching songs and I do not have the light source on.

Retracts:247

Reallocs:0

Pending Sectors:0

PwerOn Hours:1346

Start/Stops:41297

Error on drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.