Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Spyware issue on Mavericks?

I've been receiving a ton of rejected emails that I never sent. I've been told that Apple's recent OS's have a security flaw!!!

And that I should use Norton's or something like it to ferret out the spyware. Any advice please? Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), iMac (New - Just received)

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:07 PM

I've been told that Apple's recent OS's have a security flaw!!!

You've been told wrong.

And that I should use Norton's or something like it to ferret out the spyware.

Norton is one of the worst Mac anti-virus programs. Are they the ones who told you there was a "security flaw?"

This issue is almost certainly not caused by any spyware. Your email was hacked, but that has nothing to do with any particular computer. If you changed your email password, no other action is required.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 7:07 PM in response to julie1031_LA

I've been told that Apple's recent OS's have a security flaw!!!

You've been told wrong.

And that I should use Norton's or something like it to ferret out the spyware.

Norton is one of the worst Mac anti-virus programs. Are they the ones who told you there was a "security flaw?"

This issue is almost certainly not caused by any spyware. Your email was hacked, but that has nothing to do with any particular computer. If you changed your email password, no other action is required.

May 29, 2015 7:08 PM in response to julie1031_LA

There's nothing wrong with your Mac. Either someone hacked into your email account at your ISP and is sending out a ton of email from your account, or a spammer is spoofing your address. For the first, go to your email account online and change the password. For the latter, there's nothing you can do. Spoofing is used to send out emails with the sender changed to whatever address the spammer wants to put in there. The receiving email server sees your email address as the sender. Even though it never came from you in the first place, all undeliverable notices come to you.

Do not subject your Mac to any AV software. It's all virtually useless, and Norton is the worst.

May 29, 2015 8:00 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thank you. stevejobsfan0123 I have changed my password on the email account it happened to.

... I have an iCloud acc - with no issues.

... I have a gmail account that I stopped using but do receive occasional mail - with no issues.

... I have an earthlink account that I had trusted - that was hacked. It was suggested to me

to use Norton. I told them Norton was not compatible with the OXs and that I would check if

it was true that I have spyware.

So thank you for clearing this up for me.

Julie1031_LA

May 29, 2015 8:47 PM in response to julie1031_LA

Unfortunately, stealing and/or selling valid email addresses is big business; I am actually getting spam emails FROM me TO me. Changing your password is good, but they already have your address, so you will not be able to stop this indefinitely as your address has probably been shared or sold several times now. If things get worse, the only way to stop it is radical: change your email address.

And, it's best not to google for spyware products as that doesn't really have anything to do with your problem; if it did, do as gail from maine suggested: check the app store.

May 30, 2015 6:11 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Unfortunately, stealing and/or selling valid email addresses is big business; I am actually getting spam emails FROM me TO me. Changing your password is good, but they already have your address, so you will not be able to stop this indefinitely as your address has probably been shared or sold several times now. If things get worse, the only way to stop it is radical: change your email address.

It took a while, but after using SpamCop for some time and diligently reporting the raw headers on each and every spam email both to them and my ISP, the spam has finally stopped. Or, more pessimistically, the current spam cycle has just exhausted itself, awaiting someone new to buy the list. I've been through two of these cycles now, but only started really getting into reporting spam on the second. Fingers crossed the reporting did the job...mostly.

Is there a Spyware issue on Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.