Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library is taking up too much space on iPhone

Last week I finally got around to sorting my photos out. We have a large photo library spanning 15 years and just over 100GB. We've bought the 200GB iCloud option and collected everything into one Photos library and waited for it to upload. I then enabled iCloud photos and the "optimise iPhone storage" option on my 64GB iPhone 6. Photos all synced and takes up about 6GB on the iPhone. Brilliant.

The problem though, is with my wife's iPhone - 16GB iPhone 5s. We use the same iCloud account so that all our photos sync to all our devices. With all the other apps she uses, she does not have space for 6GB of photos. Even with the "optimise iPhone storage" option enabled, the phone tries to download scaled versions of each photo but of course runs out of space. We have also discovered that once the phone has under 300MB of available space, all iCloud Photos functionality is paused until you free up more space, and this includes uploading any photos that she takes on the phone. So my wife's photos are now not syncing to cloud, and as a result of having zero available space (60MB at the moment...) the phone runs very slowly, battery drains quickly and the photos app crashes when you try to open it.

The "optimise iPhone storage" option needs to be improved and needs to factor the available space. Either that or the user needs an option to "only download last 12 months" or something similar.

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:53 AM

13 replies

Jun 10, 2015 11:36 AM in response to CaseyBarrett

I have the similar problems with 90gb photos/videos on iCloud, no problem with the 64 gb iPad where Photo Library takes up 13gb, but a constant problem with the 16gb iPhone 5s. I have to look for ways to free up space, even by deleting apps, podcasts, music, etc, but Photos wants to eat into that free space in no time. The "optimise iPhone storage" isn't as useful as I'd expect it to be, there should be a storage threshold that it should leave untouched and if the free storage drops below that line, reduce the space Photo Library is using.

Aug 31, 2015 4:43 PM in response to El Nuevo Duderino

I agree. It seems nuts that this is no 'in between' option, or a slider to tell the phone how many gigs of memory to limit photos to. Maybe some sort of date limiter. In other words, "include all photos for the last year".

Obviously, this is good for the shareholders, though, because everybody is going to have to get the max memory option on all their new devices!

Oct 20, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence!

Mmm... you are one of the Level 7+ users I'm talking about...

a) one of the features of the iCloud solution is that you don't get to select how many photos are on your phone. It decides for you.

b) obviously, I have turned on the optimize feature. That is in the original post, and seems to be about the only thing one can control.

Any further thoughts?

Oct 20, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Tor Lundgren

Using iCloud photos it's all or nothing. What I do is use iCloud to sync my photos to my computer, then transfer them to Google Picasa where I edit them and organize them into albums, Upload them to Picasa Web, then use the MyPics app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mypics-google-photos-manager/id351297486?mt=8) to view the albums on my phone. MyPics lets you selectively cache albums on the phone.

Oct 22, 2015 8:21 PM in response to CaseyBarrett

Just spent some time at the Apple Store today and can report that the Genius has experienced the same issue.

In essence, if the iCloud Library is LARGE and the amount of storage of the device is small... you will experience running out of space. We didn't get into specifics about what numbers might be involved, but the general point is that the 'optimized' setting will only do so much.

So, until this is changed, you will end up running out of space on your device.

iCloud photo library is taking up too much space on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.