Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice needed! Hacker took control of my macbook pro

Hello and thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

I should start off by telling you that the hack / hijack I'm about to describe freaked me out a bit - but after talking to apple tech support for 45 minutes (nice but not really helpful) and some overnight deliberation, which included downloading bitdefender and running a deep virus scan for hours which didn't seem to yield anything significant (entirely spam folder emails that had never been touched, including ones in old email archive folders), as seeking help of a local reputable NYC computer service (they said didn't think it was worth spending the $200 an hour to get forensics done and that they're advice was to do what I was thinking.... I decided to make a clone of my hard drive (I also have a clone from the night before the incident) to preserve any forensic evidence as I knew I probably couldn't leave it alone and then re-formatted the drive and have rebuilt the system from scratch with a fully clean install, no time machine, so far no copying of data from the clones (eventually I need to grab my itunes catalog, as long as its not a likely place for a bug to hide). A huge headache all in all and a big time loss but at least I feel better about using my machine.

What I'm hoping someone can offer is a clue as to how I could identify whatever the executable was that allowed this outside person to access and hijack my system. Why? Because I'd like to find out if any of my other machines at home or work have the same executable on them (I have 5 macs total for a small business). Do these things tend to jump from machine to machine? The local computer shop said almost certainly not.

So here's the story:

2 Days ago, I was away from my desk for about an hour and a half and upon return immediately tried to get to my mail app (had an urgent matter that I was focused on dealing with) and realized I was having trouble with the mouse - I looked to see if I'd left my pen on my tablet and that wasn't the problem - then quickly noticed that there were far more windows open that there should have been, including my personal financial app - that's what grabbed my attention that something more was wrong - I then noticed that the green light was on next to the camera and quickly realized that the mouse movement wasn't erratic, that someone was opening / closing items. I then quickly covered the camera, attempted manual shut down, was unable to make that happen and then immediately forced a shutdown.

I turned the machine back on a short while later, with internet off (my machine is set up to re-open all open windows when shut down) and slowly took frame grabs as I peeled back and noted everything that was open - including things that hadn't been open when I left such as facetime which had been buried under a few layers of windows and my personal finance software along with an email that had been opened from the investment co where i keep my retirement accounts.

I spoke with apple but the tech support person spent a fair amount of time trying to convince me that I simply had a glitchy mouse and that she'd never heard of a mac being remotely hijacked, after some research I can clearly see that's not the case. She did eventually relent when I reviewed the evidence but I decided it was best to strike out on my own at that point.

Here's the specs on my macbook pro:

Retina, Mid 2012

2.3 GHz Intel Cor i7

16gb 1600 Mhz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

OS X 10.9.5 (I'm not sure of the build - I'd have to boot one of the clones)

Screen Sharing was not on

Ok, that's my story - if anyone has any suggestions or reccomendations as to what I can do to discover the culprit embedded in the system that allowed this to happen, I'd appreciate it. THANKS!

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 29, 2015 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 2:43 AM

“How to respond …….”

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

10 replies

May 30, 2015 3:14 AM in response to BTSman

Lack of details.

For starters, who else has access to your system/s? Do your have Remote Desktop software installed or vnc/screen sharing? Do you have ssh enabled?

What kind of network do you have?

Which apps were exactly being used?

I would suggest to start looking at your logs, start with /Applications/Utilities/Console

May 30, 2015 4:27 AM in response to BTSman

What you describe certainly sounds like your machine was compromised. However, there's no known way for this to happen all by itself over the internet, without your assistance with installing something. It's conceivable that, if you have file sharing turned on or some other remote access service, someone on your local network could gain access that way and install something over the network.

More likely, though, is physical access. The fact that you left your computer unattended for around 90 minutes and found the problem immediately upon return means it's highly likely that someone got physical access to your computer during that time and installed who knows what. You'll probably never know what was installed. An expert should be able to identify it, given time and complete access to the clone of your system. Anti-virus software certainly won't, as any hacker worth his salt wouldn't use anything that anti-virus software would detect.

The bigger question now is, how do you prevent this in the future? The problem is, if someone is able to gain unmonitored physical access to your computer, there can be no guarantees. There's always the possibility that they will find a way to install something to spy on you. So it's important to carefully control physical access to your computer, if possible. This is now especially true in your workplace (assuming that's where you were when this incident occurred). Since you have a MacBook Pro, don't leave it on your desk... stick it in a bag and carry it with you whenever you leave. Or lock your office door whenever you leave, assuming you have an office with a locking door and that you can trust anyone else who might have a key.

If you must leave the machine unattended, enable FileVault:

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

This will encrypt your entire hard drive, so nobody can tamper with that system or access your data. Also, set a firmware password to prevent anyone from starting up your computer from another drive without that password:

What is a firmware password and how do I set one up? - Apple Support

Those two measures will make your computer as secure as it's possible to be against an attacker with physical access to the machine.

May 30, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Luis Yax

Luis, thank you for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

For starters, who else has access to your system/s? Do your have Remote Desktop software installed or vnc/screen sharing? Do you have ssh enabled?

The only other people who rarely make use of my laptop are my wife and my sole employee - both are implicitly trusted. My employee only uses the system when were filming on location and my laptop is used to manage data from the shoots.

I do have the logmein client and chrome remote desktop installed on the system. Apple, Intuit and another third party vendor have used remote applications to share screens for tech support / demonstration purposes. Desktop sharing was not turned on, not sure if ssh was enabled or not.

What kind of network do you have?

In our studio we have a simple wired/wireless network routed through an apple airport which is connected to a cable providers modem.

Slack (desktop app) / Quicktime 7 / MacMail / Chrome Browser / Acrobat Pro / Word / Preview

I would suggest to start looking at your logs, start with /Applications/Utilities/Console

Will do - I need to boot from the clone - will do asap (need to boot from the clone) and will look at the specific times I was away from the computer.

May 30, 2015 7:28 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and useful info thomas.

The only person who was in my office at the time of the compromise was my sole employee who I implicitly trust - if he's the problem, he wouldn't have needed a remote person to access anything and he certainly would certainly have known when I was returning and would have avoided discovery. So I don't think that's it. I assume (based on everything I've learned) that an executable was inadvertently added to the system at some point, likely via a website visit (I never click on email links or open attachments unless I'm 100% sure of their origin" and the executable was "sleeping" waiting for an the right circumstances for a remote login session.

I work in a very small photo/video studio environment and I'm by far, the most technically capable person there, I also know and trust everyone who has access and we've worked together for many, many years. You never know but its highly unlikely that any of them were the culprits. None the less, laptop will be turned off and stored going forward!

I'm going to follow your reccomendations and readup on and likely enable both Firevault and firmware password. Thank you!

May 30, 2015 8:28 AM in response to BTSman

BTSman wrote:

Slack (desktop app) / Quicktime 7 / MacMail / Chrome Browser / Acrobat Pro / Word / Preview

Were these the apps that you used earlier in the day? In OS X, closing the last window does not always quit the app. Even though you had no windows open for these apps, is it possible the windows were minimized to the Dock and/or the apps themselves were not explicitly quit?

The reason I ask these specific questions is that occasionally I see the same results as you described. After being away from the computer, or overnight, when I return and wake the Mac, the screen is covered with a multitude of open windows.

The reason is not that someone hacked into my computer (so unlikely that the thought never even enters my mind), but that the Mac restarted during my absence (power disruption, USB hub failing, external disk enclosure failing, software crash, whatever).

May 30, 2015 11:45 AM in response to BTSman

In that case, it sounds like the culprit may actually be one of your remote access apps. There should be an online account associated with both LogMeIn and Chrome Remote Desktop, and either of those accounts could have been hacked. Go change the password on both immediately! Make sure to use a strong password, and make sure to change any security questions. I'm not intimately familiar with either of these apps, but if either account offers two-factor authentication instead of security questions, use it.

I'd also recommend uninstalling one or both, if possible.

May 30, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks for following up!

Were these the apps that you used earlier in the day? In OS X, closing the last window does not always quit the app. Even though you had no windows open for these apps, is it possible the windows were minimized to the Dock and/or the apps themselves were not explicitly quit?

The reason I ask these specific questions is that occasionally I see the same results as you described. After being away from the computer, or overnight, when I return and wake the Mac, the screen is covered with a multitude of open windows.

The apps were the ones that I had open before leaving - I'm new to Slack and use it to communicate with a company I'm working with, I have been in touch with their security team and they seem certain that the hack didn't come through their app. However, I'm not going to reinstall the app just in case (it might have kept my computer from going to the lock screen, which it should have done within 2 minutes of my going idle.

The reasons I'm positive that the apps that I found open on the system when I returned had not been on previously is because I started the machine up in the morning from fully off state and definitely did not have my personal accounting software open (I don't use it as often as I should :-), plus the accounting software was open to the register for my retirement accounts AND an email from the investment company I keep them at had been opened to my desktop from macmail (I changed passwords, security questions and have two step verification with them, so not a problem), and most critically, FaceTime was open and my camera was on - I never use facetime from my laptop. Just watching the mouse move around the screen, closing / dragging windows - it was clear that someone was controlling the system. Had my facetime not been buried by mulitiple windows and my accounting software obsucred by several as well I would have noticed what was up immediately upon returning - it probably took less than a minute or two to figure it out and shut down but it there's no doubt in my mind about what happened.

Thanks for the concern and advice!

May 30, 2015 1:03 PM in response to thomas_r.

In that case, it sounds like the culprit may actually be one of your remote access apps. There should be an online account associated with both LogMeIn and Chrome Remote Desktop, and either of those accounts could have been hacked. Go change the password on both immediately! Make sure to use a strong password, and make sure to change any security questions. I'm not intimately familiar with either of these apps, but if either account offers two-factor authentication instead of security questions, use it.

I'd also recommend uninstalling one or both, if possible.

Its certainly possible! I've used lastpass for the last year and a half or so to maintain as well as often generate my passwords (not even I know most of them) and I always go for complex. I also keep my systems set to log out after 2 minutes of inactivity, so that even if you get to the desktop, you need to know the user password to get in. I've avoided reinstalling either so far and will use another system (with lastpass) to change the passwords for both. Eventually I'll need to use at least one of them but for now I'd I just want to know that my clean machine is staying as clean as possible.

Thanks!

Advice needed! Hacker took control of my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.