Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alert saying I have malware

I have a pop up that won't let me close the tab or go to any other tab. When I close Safari and open it up again, the popup is there. It's wants me to call a number. I know they are just fishing. How do I get rid of it, so I can use Safari again?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:50 PM

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

If that message continues to appear, click here and run Adware Medic. You may need to download it from a different web browser.

(128074)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 10:50 PM in response to mellonome

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

If that message continues to appear, click here and run Adware Medic. You may need to download it from a different web browser.

(128074)

May 30, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Niel

I have the same issue on a new iMac. It started two days ago. I think I clicked on a bad link or opened an infected email.

I followed your steps but it did not resolve the issue. Below are details:

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari,

- I did this.

and then launch it with the Shift key held down.

- I can't do this, I'm remotely accessing the computer with Teamviewer from a Windows PC.

If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

- I can't do this, I'm remotely accessing the computer with Teamviewer

If that message continues to appear, click here and run Adware Medic.

- I did this. No adware found.

Notes:

1. Google chrome works fine.

2. When I open safari, the pop/malware takes control immediately. Therefore, I can't get to the "Safari/Preferences" menu.

- How do I perform a safari repair if I can't get to the Safari/Preferences" menu?

3. Google chrome works fine.

Thanks in advance!

May 30, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric.

Replies below:

Try going to Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data, force quit, and then reopen.

- Did this. It did not resolve the issue.

- These menu options are greyed out.

How is the Mac accessing the Internet?

- VIA ethernet cable.

If Wi-Fi, can you disconnect in the menu bar? If not go System Preferences/Network, select Wi-Fi and check the box Show Wi-Fi status in menu bar, Then go to the menu bar and turn Wi-Fi off.

- Why do I need to turn wi-fi or internet off?

- I'm remotely accessing the computer. I need internet on.

Alert saying I have malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.