Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to unlink Safari from an App completely without doing a factory reset?

I have a MMO game App called Galaxy on Fire Alliances (GOFA) developed by Fish Labs that started opening Safari and a kind of pop up asks me to log into Facebook EVERY time I open the game which to me constitutes a "redirect" malware like behavior by opening Safari without my permission. This happens on both my iPad3 and my iPhone 4S. Ironically the FB page that opens in Safari (which I never use or open otherwise) says I already authorized GOFA and FB already.

At one point long before this started Fish Labs offered some free in game credits for linking the app to Facebook which I accepted. I was fine when everything related worked behind the scenes. Suddenly one day my profile picture from FB which includes myself and 15 year old daughter started appearing on my screen in game which I felt was an unauthorized invasion of privacy. I did not get any help on their forum to resolve it so I unauthorized any link between the app and Facebook on both sides of the issue which is when this all started.

- Eventually I created another FB account linked to another email address, reauthorized linking on both ends and I used an avatar for a profile pic that worked for a month but my email address was too similar to my primary one and FB closed the account.

- Created another email account completely unrelated to my other two, pened another FB account with the avatar profile pic and this worked for 2-3 months but I started getting the same issue again and can't remember the Facebook login details for that last one anymore.

- Opened multiple support tickets with Fish Labs and they insist there is no Facebook link for my account on their software or servers and that the link must be in Safari. They said the only way to fix it is to do a factory reset which would be my last choice.

I am also concerned that if I need to restore my iPad and iPhone to get all my contacts, notes and apps all recovered easily that whatever background data that is causing this link will also be restored right back in the process.

Alternatively I decided to try;

- Clear all Safari browser history and cache on both devices at the same time first. No joy

- Again cleared all Safari browser history and cache, uninstalled GOFA on both devices, did the hard shut down and restart on both devices and then after a complete restart I cleared Safari one more time (shouldn't be anything left there but trying to cover all potentials) before reinstalling GOFA . Still no joy.

I performed all the above steps in parallel on both devices. I really don't want to spend the time doing a full factory reset if there is any other way and I am not convinced the problem won't just reappear the second I restore my devices.

Any recommendations?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on May 29, 2015 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:29 PM

There may be an element of some adware product behind the issue you face in Safari:

•Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

•browser redirects safari

http://www.thesafemac.com/?s=redirect+browser&submit=Search

Tech Guides - adware malware performance:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

Not sure how or if another fine product for adware removal in Mac's OS X would perform

in the iPad or iPod. The 'Adware Medic' from the author of thesafemac.com is quite good

but you may have to experiment with manual removal such as the Support site suggests.

Good luck in this matter! 😐

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 11:29 PM in response to Scooter B

There may be an element of some adware product behind the issue you face in Safari:

•Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

•browser redirects safari

http://www.thesafemac.com/?s=redirect+browser&submit=Search

Tech Guides - adware malware performance:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

Not sure how or if another fine product for adware removal in Mac's OS X would perform

in the iPad or iPod. The 'Adware Medic' from the author of thesafemac.com is quite good

but you may have to experiment with manual removal such as the Support site suggests.

Good luck in this matter! 😐

May 30, 2015 11:40 AM in response to K Shaffer

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac. I only have the iPad and iPhone and the Safari menus don't sound very similar from what you describe. This behavior does seem to resemble some type of malware behavior but it only happens with this one app and nothing else. I will have a look at the sites you linked to see if there is anything specific to just iPad/iPhone issues

May 30, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Scooter B

You may be able to unlink the other site or popup by checking into and changing web settings:

•Safari web settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

There also is a manual method, that I have not tried, said to be part of the instructions

TheSafeMac.com 'adware removal guide' page -- as linked from the Tech Guides...

to contact the author of TheSafeMac (thomas) from the email link in thesafemac, he

may have a shorter solution for your iPad issue, if it includes adware or malware.

Safari extensions or added items that some sites can load into your device, are more

likely a problem than some of the adware found in computer systems.

Sorry the earlier info wasn't clear on a solution...! 😐

Is there any way to unlink Safari from an App completely without doing a factory reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.