Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is recording duration set?

This was easy to set from the Audio File drop-down in the Bin in Logic Pro 8, but I haven't found it under Settings, Preferences, or Project Audio in X. I want to set a fixed recording length so I can step away and know that recording will stop in whatever amount of time I need, whether that be 3 minutes or 45 minutes. This is still a settable parameter someplace, isn't it?

Posted on May 29, 2015 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 11:37 AM

You can use Logic's Meta Events to define any location in your Project where Logic stops playback, in Playback Mode or in Record Mode

Here is the setup:

• Create an Instrument Track
  • Create an empty Region starting at 1.0.0 (click with the Pencil Tool on the Track Lane
  • Select the Region and open the Event List
  • Click on the popup menu next to the Plus Button and select Meta Event
  • Click the Plus Button (make sure the Playhead is parked at 1.0.0 and)
  • This will create a new Meta Event #50 in that Region at the position 1.0.0
  • Ctr+click on the number 50 in the Num column
  • A popup menu opens up, where you select "52 = Stop Playback"

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now you can use the Region to place it at any position along the timeline and the Meta Event inside (telling Logic to stop playback) will move with it (like regular MIDI Events in a MIDI Region. If you want the Playback (or recording) stop at bar 51, move the Region to bar 51. Simple as that. You can use the Secondary Ruler to display Absolute Time if you want to position the stop command, for example, at 5min32sec.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 11:37 AM in response to thehappyclub

You can use Logic's Meta Events to define any location in your Project where Logic stops playback, in Playback Mode or in Record Mode

Here is the setup:

• Create an Instrument Track
  • Create an empty Region starting at 1.0.0 (click with the Pencil Tool on the Track Lane
  • Select the Region and open the Event List
  • Click on the popup menu next to the Plus Button and select Meta Event
  • Click the Plus Button (make sure the Playhead is parked at 1.0.0 and)
  • This will create a new Meta Event #50 in that Region at the position 1.0.0
  • Ctr+click on the number 50 in the Num column
  • A popup menu opens up, where you select "52 = Stop Playback"

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now you can use the Region to place it at any position along the timeline and the Meta Event inside (telling Logic to stop playback) will move with it (like regular MIDI Events in a MIDI Region. If you want the Playback (or recording) stop at bar 51, move the Region to bar 51. Simple as that. You can use the Secondary Ruler to display Absolute Time if you want to position the stop command, for example, at 5min32sec.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 30, 2015 11:47 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks very much, Edgar. I can move forward with this solution, and it's good education for me to learn about using such meta events. I'll look further.

There used to be a much simpler method of setting the maximum recording duration to a given value of time in units of minutes. That capability appears to have been removed. I can't see the logic for having done that to Logic.

Where is recording duration set?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.