Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Requirements for Final Cut Pro X

Hello Friends,

I'm planning buying Final Cut Pro X. I'm not 100% sure that it'll be ok on my computer though. I downloaded the free trial and that seemed to install and run properly. Previously I've been using Final Cut Express - editing and exporting 1080p footage, that all works ok too. My mac is a few years old now (got it in 2009 or 2010) but it seems to be running ok (the internal harddrive was replaced a few years back so that is more recent).

I'm running OS X 10.10.2

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB

I don't need to edit at 4K. I'll be working with HD 1080p footage for the time being.

Think I'll be ok upgrading to Final Cut Pro X?

Much appreciated!

Tommy

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 30, 2015 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 2:11 AM

You have to little RAM, consider at least 8 GB, with 512 MB VRAM you can not edit 3D titles smoothly, and the output will be bad. 1000 MB is the minimum for 3D. Fast external thunderbolt drive is almost a must for the libary and the media files.

7 replies

May 30, 2015 2:55 AM in response to Tommy Tate

The free trial is exactly the same as the bought version, so if it worked well for your type of editing, you will be OK.

I have an even older (lower spec) iMac which works well with 1080/50p video, so as long as you aren't intending to do lots of multi-track editing loaded with effects, you should have no problems.

Obviously a more powerful computer will be quicker and better for 3D effects as Innocentius says.

May 30, 2015 2:53 AM in response to innocentius

Thanks for the info innocentius,much appreciated. I'll definately be using a good fast external drive for the media files etc. I won't be doing 3d titles or 4k editing though. The FCP X system spec seemed to suggest that I'd be ok using my computer otherwise. When you mentioned output quality were you refering specifically to 3d title ouput or film output in general? When I used the trial version I exported a film as a ProRes 422 1080p Quicktime file and the quality was perfect (I didn't have any 3d elements though).

Cheers!

Aug 7, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Just wanted to say that after getting FCPX for my machine everything seems to be working well for me (fingers crossed). There was one small thing that didn't seem to work too well though - the optical blending function for speed adjustement, it seemed to crash the computer whenever I selected that option. I used the frame blending option instead which worked really well and rendered quickly so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Thanks for your help!

System Requirements for Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.