Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have been hacked. what do I do?!

So I believe I've been recently hacked by a company named abita technologies. I'll list what happened:

Downloaded a song, a popup showed up on my macbook pro saying that its detected a virus, couldn't exit out of safari, I panicked and called the hotline that pop up provided me with, i talked to one of the associates through the hotline, gave them my mac's serial number, i gave them permission to authorize my computer so that they can "fix" my virus", paid them $300 to fix it, told me to wait an 1 hour- 1:30 hour. Things I've done so far: changed all of my social networking passwords, canceled all of my credit/debit cards, and I filed a complaint to the IC3, as of right now I disconnected my modem so that no device is in contact with my modem, and I erased my disk so it's at the factory settings right now. I have not reinstalled the OSX software yet since I have to use the Internet to install it. I have a few questions.

1) do I have to get a new macbook since i gave them my serial number?

2) is it safe to turn back on my modem? (left off the whole day)

3) will I have a new IP address once I turn back my modem on?

4) what are other suggestions I should do to protect myself and my identity?

Any other recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015)

Posted on May 30, 2015 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:01 AM

Scam pop-ups

“How to respond …….”

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

jaymatic240 wrote:

1. No. You don't have to buy a new MacBook Pro.

2. Yes.

Click the link posted above and read the article.

Best.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 3:01 AM in response to jaymatic240

Scam pop-ups

“How to respond …….”

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

jaymatic240 wrote:

1. No. You don't have to buy a new MacBook Pro.

2. Yes.

Click the link posted above and read the article.

Best.

May 30, 2015 3:06 AM in response to jaymatic240

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. If you have erased the disk, installed new passwords for the Mac and all of your bank accounts, reinstall the OSX and your personal data.

It will not make you feel any better, but you are not the only person to be scammed like this. In the future don't call the number. You may have to force quit the application and at worst, break the Internet connection. I post this for third party readers.

You may consider disputing the charge with your bank that issued the credit card.

Ciao.

I have been hacked. what do I do?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.